• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Blues (1 Viewer)

SDV

Hi

I have terrible trouble with ID'ing butterflies despite browsing numerous guides, especially blues and browns.

These blues were all taken at Martin Down in Hampshire, UK in late August.

Some positive Ids would be very welcome.

Attachments

• B01.jpg
    B01.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 33
  • B02.jpg
    B02.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 29
  • B03.jpg
    B03.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 20
  • B04.jpg
    B04.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 18
  • B05.jpg
    B05.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 28
First two are Chalkhill Blue, final ones are Brown Argus - note the orange spots on the forewings which would be largely absent in the similar Common Blue. And I'll be helpful by stating that as a fact rather than being unhelpful by adding a ? which helps no-one.

First two are Chalkhill Blue, final ones are Brown Argus - note the orange spots on the forewings which would be largely absent in the similar Common Blue. And I'll be helpful by stating that as a fact rather than being unhelpful by adding a ? which helps no-one.

I don't like to be so arrogant as some clearly do, in assuming that I'm always correct, I'll take that '?' away for you then. You don't even need to look at the 'largely absent' orange spots either, the absence of a cell spot in the basal half of the forewing is enough.

Maybe change that name to 'off the Rayles' ..............

Last edited:
Sorry to have provoked such discourse. I was simply wanting some help with IDs. I would still appreciate some help or even suggestions as to IDs on my other posts with regard to Blues photographed on Martin Down.

Many thanks Dave. I know that the undersides of the Blues are difficult, about the only one I can do with confidence is the Holly Blue!

As for whether it is Adonis or Chalkhill, hopefully some others will wade in to show their expertise.

Well, I would be more inclined to Adonis Blue for the first two but ready to be shot down by those more knowledgeable than me.

The reason I leaned Chalkhill was the binary spots which are just visible in the forewing, shown as a characteristic of Chalkhill but not Adonis.

On closer inspection, the deep blue of the upperwing is just visible and is better match for Adonis.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back