• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California with emphasis of Giant Redwoods (1 Viewer)

Hi Dieter,

These were great photos you posted above.

In particular, that one of the "walk-through" Sequoia ~ was that taken by yourself, and where in the park was it taken? (I'm presuming that it was in King's Canyon & Sequoia Nat. Park ?)

We're off to California in June and although we'll be driving around a considerable part of the state, my biggest reason is to fulfil my lifelong desire to visit the Big Redwoods. On my previous visit we visited Muir Woods, and although there are some big trees there (Coast Redwoods) I know I'll just be blown away by the Giant (Sierra) Redwoods! Can't wait !!!

By the way ~ did you meet General Sherman and General Grant ?

Oh ~ and that King Snake . . . did you see many of them ? . . . and an even more important question --- are they poisonous ? :eek!:

Oops. Sorry I missed this. Glad you had fun. If I can be of any help in the future (to others visiting) feel free to contact me. Great King Snake. The "Mountain" variety is even more spectacular.

Attachments

• giant sequoia.jpg
    giant sequoia.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 65
  • rubber boa.jpg
    rubber boa.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 65
When it comes to trees with red wood, the Sequoias are the king of the forest. They're specialties at Yosemite or Sequoia, but better at Sequoia, IMO.

If you've never been to Yosemite, then I'd say that's the destination. Yosemite is one of the "national parks of national parks". Like the Grand Canyon, it simply overshadows many other national parks. That said, I had better luck with Sequoia for birding. You can visit both Sequoia (and King's Canyon which are together) along with Yosemite in the same few days if you are up for a drive. You can't lose at either. I'd recommend flying into Fresno to minimize drive time, but the drive/flight from SF to Fresno can be a wash.

A bright 10x or image stabilized higher mag would be great in these parks due to the tall trees.

. . . the Sequoias are the king of the forest. They're specialties at Yosemite or Sequoia, but better at Sequoia, IMO.
. . . . You can visit both Sequoia (and King's Canyon which are together) along with Yosemite in the same few days if you are up for a drive.

We'll be in California for 16 days. We're staying 2 nights at Buck Meadows (for Yosemite) and 2 nights at Three Rivers (for K.C. & Sequoia N.P.)
That will give us a full day (at least) in each park ~ I'd have liked more time there but there's always the others in the party to consider!

I'm fully open to all suggestions and advice.
Thanks.

Remember, Three Rivers is 5000 feet lower than the "Giant Forest" in Sequoia. The great canyon of the south fork of the King's River is 4 hours away. 2 very big parks (just in their front country alone). A real gem (where I used to work) is the Mineral King Valley. 7000 feet above 3 Rivers. 25 miles and 700 turns on a one lane road. Great Sequoias (Atwell ---- uphill to the north ---- gotta hike) and a beautiful valley at the end of the road with one campground. Nice birds and flowers there in June.....chris

The previous snake and sequoia are from Mineral King............

Attachments

• pic2mail copy of IMG_2468ssss.jpg
    pic2mail copy of IMG_2468ssss.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 63
  • pic2mail copy of IMG_2515dddd.jpg
    pic2mail copy of IMG_2515dddd.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 59
  • pic2mail copy of IMG_2562d21241.jpg
    pic2mail copy of IMG_2562d21241.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 68
  • pic2mail copy of IMG_2566q`11`23`1.jpg
    pic2mail copy of IMG_2566q`11`23`1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 70
  • pic2mail copy of IMG_2409323r23.jpg
    pic2mail copy of IMG_2409323r23.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 64
Chris, thanks for your input.
We had originally planned to hire a campervan (for 4) but after reading the recommendations against anything over 22ft in the parks, we decided on the hotels option.
We won't have a huge amount of time in either of the parks but for me, a must-see are the 2 BIG trees. (Generals Grant & Sherman) Can you say how far from Three Rivers are these two? (driving distance/time?)

Sherman is about and hour and 1/2. Grant, about 3 hours. Both trees are part of separate specific groves. While both trees are spectacular - they are both protected behind rustic wooden fences and (especially Sherman) quite popular (as they should be) with visitors from around the world.

I would suggest (when seeing Sherman) to take the 2 mile "Congress Trail". There will be a small pamphlet you can get at the beginning of the trail that will explain different aspects and features of the forest. I wish you could have seen the sugar pines I experienced 25 years ago before an introduced disease took most.

Also, when arriving up on the Giant Forest plateau you'll see a right hand turn to Crescent Meadow. In June (you must) walk around this and Log Meadow. They are true "Gem's of the Sierra". John Muir's words, not mine. Surrounded by huge trees. A favorite place of mine is "Huckleberry meadow". Eat you lunch on a fallen giant. Lay down. Take a nap. Whatever you do, just try to spend some time in any grove just listening and watching. Great wildlife - unmatched trees.

A longer drive (past Grant Grove) will take you down in the "King's Canyon". While beautiful and little visited ----- it is no match for Yosemite's grand glacial valley. I say this because I know you only have so much time.

When in 3 Rivers, make sure you explore the river there. A nice place to wander is Potwisha Campground and Hospital Rock. Acorn woodpeckers, Our Lord's Candle ( a yucca), white throated swifts, and crystal clear snow melt.

May the Sierra affect you like it has so many for so many years......

Attachments

• pic2mail copy of IMG_2498sWDQWR.jpg
    pic2mail copy of IMG_2498sWDQWR.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Chris, thanks for your info and advice ~ it's more useful to me than any advice I would get in a guide book or on a website.

I've copied and printed your last posting and it will travel with me so that I don't have to rely on my own memory!

That's cool. I'd say that anyone wanting to visit National Parks in America should write to our National Park Service (with specific questions) and expect prompt honest replies. Or at least be re-directed to previous employees who can help.

My wife and I are back to Indonesia starting on June 3rd. If you have any other questions --- feel free to ask (not just about Sierran parks)..........

Attachments

• ATT00007.jpg
    ATT00007.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 59
Giant Redwoods

Hello,

the most giant trees I saw in Sequioa national parc.
Further south also big trees in Sequia forest.
I came from lake Isabella ( south ). The area was very dry, I could not imagine, there could be any forest.
But further north the landscape changed to deep forest immediately.

Sequoia national parc has an information centre in the high area ( not sure 7.000 feet ? ). Not far are 2 spots of hugh trees. One of them has the hughest trees e.g. the Sherman.
This area You have to visit in the evening time, because there is nice sunshine. The sunshine creates nice color on the hugh truncs.

The camping place nearby of course is quiete crowded.
It is recommended to book in advance.

Near the entry of Kings Canyon are other hugh trees.
This national parc is urgently recommend to visit.
Kings Canyon is the deepest in US.
The lanscape is spectacular.

Nice small forests also in the north of Monterray Bay.
I think this are coastal redwoods.
The vegetation is completely different.
You have lots of ferns, which can rich 5 feet.
Some of this forest areas are quite empty.
It is a suprise in an area which is not far from San Francisco.

Buy the way there was asks for Top 10 of birding areas of the world.
If someone would ask for Top 10 areas of different wildlife and nice landsapes, California would be one of the favourites.
I saw groups of Dolphins ( it said more than 1.000 ), a Spermwhale, Seals, Sea Lions, Bears, Squirrels, Marmots, one Snake, Dears, high desert with lots of flowers ( Monolake area ), mountains over 13.000 feet tall and so on.

Lots of birds of course to included 8 different kind of woodpeckers ( more different kind as in my whole life before ).

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
Nice to hear Dieter. Your English is much better than my German. I hope the attached photo brings back some nice memories. I just (digitally) photographed a picture I have hanging in my home of my father-in-law next to a great un-named tree near Mineral King in the southern portion of Sequoia National Park.

Attachments

• mmmmmmmmmmm.jpg
    mmmmmmmmmmm.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 107
Chris, thanks for your input.
We had originally planned to hire a campervan (for 4) but after reading the recommendations against anything over 22ft in the parks, we decided on the hotels option.
We won't have a huge amount of time in either of the parks but for me, a must-see are the 2 BIG trees. (Generals Grant & Sherman) Can you say how far from Three Rivers are these two? (driving distance/time?)

Hi ZeeDee - I only just saw this thread somehow - we did the grant grove and giant forest grove in November and it was awesome. I totally recommend you consider staying at Wuksachi lodge ( http://www.visitsequoia.com/lodging.aspx ). Its very close to Giant Forest and beautiful of itself. Its worth bearing in mind that getting anywhere around there can take longer than you'd expect as the roads are very twisty and have to be taken kind of slow. Of the two groves the General Grant was my favourite but I would also second the suggestion to do the Congress trail and check out the big stuff besides Sherman at Giant Forest. For some more pictures of what to expect check this out:
http://tai-haku.blogspot.com/search?q=sequoia

Nice shore birdies and snakes.

My California years were long before birding, but I did see my first hummingbird there.

Hummingbirds

Hello,

botanical garden and arboretum are very good spots for Hummingbirds.
The best was in an Australian part in Monterrey Bay with lots of Grevillea.

First Hummingsbirds I saw on Carribian Islands, second spot was in Alaska !
I was very suprised because I thought they live only in the tropic areas.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back