• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Powershot Cameras for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Potentially very good.

Admittedly the fact that they have an external zoom mechanism makes getting an effective adaptor a bit of a challenge, but I've had some very encouraging results with my hand-held A95 (the replacement for the A80) and Zeiss 65mm + zoom.

I've attached a shot (ignore the composition!) which was hand held, and which I think gives a clue as to the potential quality available...

Attachments

• teal4.jpg
    teal4.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,540
Avillage said:
Is the Canon Powershot A80 or Canon Powershot A85 any good for digiscoping?
I use the A80, Its fine if your eyes are young! ( the LCD is very small ). I am on the lookout for a new camera with bigger LCD ( I intend to keep the A80 though ). For some reason I can't get good macro shots though, autofocus?, but again its probably my eyes.
Link to my gallery on BF http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/329.

I got the camera about august 2003, anything before that date was taken with an old Sanyo.

swarovoski HD80 + canon powershot a95

Hi,

In the last week, I bought the canon powershot A95.
And I have some wonderfull results with this camera, I think that the big advantage of this canera is that you can use manual focus. If you set manual focus in infinity postition, on the LCD screen there's a zoom on the zone you want to focus. Furthermore, on the A95, you have nine different position for focus. And after you have just to turn the knob of the spotting scope to have a good picture and it's very quicker than with an autofocus.
I take an exemple, if you have some branches near the bird and if the bird is a little far, i think that with an autofocus, it's quite impossible to take a good picture.

And the A95 have a rotating LCD screen, and it's very very usefull.

Sorry for my english

Francois

picture : zoom 20X, bald eagle at ~ sixty meters

Attachments

• bald_eagle1.JPG
    bald_eagle1.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,094
Last edited:
Hi François,

Thanks for sharing informations about your combo. Can you tell me more about vignetting with 20-60 ? Do you use an adaptater or handelheld ?
I use the Swarovski AT80HD + ATS zoom eyepiece or 30 SW. The new eyepieces fit fine in the old Swaro body. I also think the A95 is a very good camera for digiscoping. I use a CP4500 but I want to change. I hope to read an quick answer from you.

My english is not good too.

Your first pic is very good, look nice.

Best regards,

marc

Marc,

although I don't use a Swaro scope I do use a Zeiss 65 + zoom, and I can say that once I've zoomed the camera in a little bit, vignetting disappears completely at any magnification of the eyepiece zoom...

Have just ordered the Powershot A95, but from Pixmania.com (£220 rather than the £213 at 7dayshop.com) but worth noting that Pixmania give a 2 YEAR guarantee with theirs!
Mind you, have ordered all the extra bits like memory cards and batteries from 7dayshop!
Looking forward to trying it now!
so which adaptor is best to connect it to an opticron scope??

Arthur,

You can add the lens adaptor LA-DC52D. It is a 52mm filter thread so you can attach an adaptater with a ring to your eyepiece. Hope you understand what I mean ?

marc

Marc Delsalle said:
Arthur,

You can add the lens adaptor LA-DC52D. It is a 52mm filter thread so you can attach an adaptater with a ring to your eyepiece. Hope you understand what I mean ?

marc
The LA-DC52D is a bayonet fit adaptor that fits around the lens of the camera and gives a 52mm thread for add-on lenses or perhaps a digiscoping adaptor. Its plastic and fairly fragile. I receeved today one I ordered from http://www.lensmateonline.com/A80adapter.htm in the USA which is brushed aluminium and provides a 37mm thread.
No digiscoping adaptor yet though, still to decide!.

adapter

The LA-DC52D is a bayonet fit adaptor that fits around the lens of the camera and gives a 52mm thread for add-on lenses or perhaps a digiscoping adaptor. Its plastic and fairly fragile. I receeved today one I ordered from http://www.lensmateonline.com/A80adapter.htm in the USA which is brushed aluminium and provides a 37mm thread.
No digiscoping adaptor yet though, still to decide!.[/QUOTE]

The adapter I use is a 52 mm, and it's in aluminium. And it's perfect with my DCA swarovski adapter.

Francois

canon A95 for ever :)

Alan, Fanch:

I have been considering purchasing an LA-DC52D (or similar, such as http://www.digizubehoer.de/page.php?p=p&pid=77&back=p.-g-.suche.-u-.suche.-g-.canon) for a while now, but have held back.

I have a question for you: is it not a possibility that - apart from at full zoom (which I'm reluctant to use for fear of a softer image) - there might be a bit too much of a gap between the lens of the camera and the eyepiece when using a digiscoping adaptor attached to the LA-CD52D?

I'd be very grateful to hear about your experiences with the lens adaptor.

Thanks in anticipation.

blythkeith said:
Alan, Fanch:

I have been considering purchasing an LA-DC52D (or similar, such as http://www.digizubehoer.de/page.php?p=p&pid=77&back=p.-g-.suche.-u-.suche.-g-.canon) for a while now, but have held back.

I have a question for you: is it not a possibility that - apart from at full zoom (which I'm reluctant to use for fear of a softer image) - there might be a bit too much of a gap between the lens of the camera and the eyepiece when using a digiscoping adaptor attached to the LA-CD52D?

I'd be very grateful to hear about your experiences with the lens adaptor.

Thanks in anticipation.

I think that there's no difference for the distance between the camera and the eyepiece when the zoom is at its maximun or its maximum. Check on your camera but i'm quite sure that the length of the zoom is not greater when the zoom is at its maximum.

Fanch

Hi Fanch,

there is a slight difference - there's about 3 millimeters between the minimum and maximum extension of the mechanism.

I'm simply concerned about vignetting, because in addition to whatever distance between eyepiece and camera the optimal zoom causes, there's also a couple of millimeters gap added by the camera-eyepiece adaptor itself.

It mightbe a non issue, but I just wondered if anyone had actually tried that kind of attachment approach with an A95...

Thanks for the reply.

I have owned a Canon A40 for a couple of years now and have recently taken up digiscoping using Swaro HD80 with the Canon. I've had mixed results hand holding the camera and using the LCD screen. To get rid of vigetting I have to use the zoom option. None of my shots are crystal clear, they all seem to be slightly out of focus and I have put it down to "old eyes" and small screen. Any Powershot users thought of using a screen shield with a built in magnifying lens available from 7dayshop ? I have thought of purchasing a CP4500 however the screen is no larger than the A40's. Thanks Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back