• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Camera. (1 Viewer)

Jenssmed

I am confused! My scope is Leica apo82 with the 35mm Adapter, now I am about to buy me a new camera instead of my old Pentax k-r, but it is not easy to find a mach I would like I house anti shake, as much light as possible no mirror and a viewfinder and big Display, and all to match my scope.
What camera should I consider, Sony, leica, Panasonic???
Have a great day and thanks for any adwise

I use the Olympus E-M5m2 on a Nikon 800mm f/5.6 manual focus lens (1600mm equivalent view). It has IBIS and the manual focus peaking and zoom work very well. My only gripe about it is after I take shots, it does not return the the same zoom view, but goes back to regular view. It's very light.

I've not used it on a spotting scope, but I assume it'd be about the same as on my manual focus lens.

The Sony A6500/A6600 would also make a nice choice, though it is larger and heavier.

I'm not familiar with the panasonic MFT lineup.

Marc

Om-d Em10 Iii.

We bought an OM-D EM10 III that is not so good with AF ("contrast-detect" only) + not so well respected 75-300 II lens, specifically for hiking & leisurely walks in woodlands.

This <1Kg "you-don't-feel-it-is-there" kit is very cost effective (<$700), especially when buying on a sale / used. The very quick manual focus + focus peaking means we do not not miss the faster auto focus at all. Given its very good performance in good light and relatively close bird subjects that you generally come across while hiking, I am not looking for an upgrade anytime soon.

From a digiscoping perspective, given that it is micro four thirds, the OM-D series cameras can easily adapted for our Kowa spotting scope, which means digiscoping is painless as well.

I certainly recommend you check it out.

Last edited:
I use the Olympus E-M5m2 on a Nikon 800mm f/5.6 manual focus lens (1600mm equivalent view). It has IBIS and the manual focus peaking and zoom work very well. My only gripe about it is after I take shots, it does not return the the same zoom view, but goes back to regular view. It's very light.

I've not used it on a spotting scope, but I assume it'd be about the same as on my manual focus lens.

The Sony A6500/A6600 would also make a nice choice, though it is larger and heavier.

I'm not familiar with the panasonic MFT lineup.

Marc

When I said "zoom" above, I meant "magnify" on the LCD, not an actual lens zoom function.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back