• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fluid head recommendation for Swar ATX 95? (1 Viewer)

yhc

I recently upgraded my spotting scope from Swarovski ATS 65 to ATX 95. I have been using Manfrotto CF tripod w/ one of their ball heads which is adequate when I use ATX 95 alone.

Now that I am considering digiscoping with my full frame Canon DSLR I would like to seek your opinion. With the camera attached to the scope, I will need to be able to shift the center of mass to better balance the scope/camera combo.

So far I have narrowed down to Manfrotto 502AH and Sirui VH-10X and checked them out at a local shop. Both offer QD plate that can be shifted to balance the scope/camera set up. Manfrotto 502AH seems to be very stout so my concern is whether it will be too cumbersome. I am not too familiar with Sirui but it seems like a quality product and a bit more compact.

Which one would you recommend?

Regards,

Hi,

the two heads you tried are not quite comparable - the Sirui is one class below the 502. The VH-10X is rated for 4kg max and 2kg counterbalance while the 502 sports 7kg max and 4kg counterbalance.

I would try the 502s little brother, the 500AH - this one is rated 5kg max and 2.4 kg counterbalance and also has a long plate for balancing the scope. I love mine a lot - very stable and still works nicely despite the fact that it was bought used for cheap on here and had been dragged around the world by a pro.

Joachim

Vielen dank Joachim.

When I add the weight of ATX 95 (75 ozs) + TLS APO 43mm (18 ozs) + Canon (32 ozs), it comes out to be a bit shy of 8 lbs. So my set up will be right at the upper limit of rated weight capacity for Sirui VH-10X. I suppose having a bit of buffer with either 500AH or 502 would be a good thing.

Also the weight of each head being considered is:

Manfrotto 502AH 60 ozs
Manfrotto 500AH 32 ozs
Sirui VH-10X 38 ozs

I will take a look at 500AH as well. Thanks again Joachim.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi,

in that case, the 502 might be in order... the usual calculation is to take a head and tripod whose max load is around your total weight of stuff to put on... This gives the extra stability you need for high magnification which is not quite comparable with normal photo use...

PS: welcome to BF - was in a rush and missed your post count last time.

Joachim

Hi Joachim.

To make sure I understand you correctly when you say "the usual calculation is to take a head and tripod whose max load is around your total weight of stuff to put on" let me ask you one more question.

The total weight of my gear (scope+apo lens+camera) is ~ 8 lbs or < 4 kg. So then for my set up, wouldn't all three aforementioned heads be suitable candidates, not just 502?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Hi,

ooops sorry... missing the word double... so the 502 matches, the other two are probably borderline.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back