• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird on fence post (1 Viewer)

nirofo

I photographed this on holiday last year, anybody any idea what this is.

nirofo

Attachments

• Bird-on-fence-post 2.jpg
    Bird-on-fence-post 2.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
That's better!
It's a very nice pic of a Roller! & I agree with Jane about the apparent meaness of it's lunch!

I have been fortunate with these birds abroad but never seen one looking as good as this. Excellent shot. Where was it taken?

Well I know it's a Roller but what's the centipede in it's beak, the thing was about 120-140mm long. It took quite a bashing from the Roller before it was subdued enough to swallow - ugh!! Anybody help, I've not been able to identify the thing for my records. Both the Roller and the Centipede were photographed near Facinas in Andalucia, Spain. April 28th 2003.

Last edited:
nirofo said:
Well I know it's a Roller but what's the centipede in it's beak, the thing was about 120-140cm long. It took quite a bashing from the Roller before it was subdued enough to swallow - ugh!! Anybody help, I've not been able to identify the thing for my records. Both the Roller and the Centipede were photographed near Facinas in Andalucia, Spain. April 28th 2003.
Wow !!! 120 - 140 cm : that's one hell of a centipede :eek!: ;)

One and a quarter metres long?! Four feet?

Presume you meant "120-140 mm" ;)

My insect book (which has an appendix of selected other arthropods) cites Scolopendra cingulatus (from the Mediterranean) as the largest European centipede; the pic looks reasonably similar to the critter in your pic, so that might be it. Only possible difference is that the pic shows a uniformly greeny-yellow thing; your pic, it is yellower and has distinct blackish bands on the back and tips to the last pair of legs

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back