• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Booted Warbler ? (1 Viewer)

Sumit

Hi,
Attached was photographed in Kolkata city, India last week and field-impression of the 1st bird was Booted Warbler ( Hippolias caliagata). Another bird was also photographed in the same area (bird sitting under a broad leaf) and that image is also attached .
Thanks for your help.
Cheers!

Sumit

Attachments

• bootedwarbler8.jpg
    bootedwarbler8.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 330
  • bootedwarbler98.jpg
    bootedwarbler98.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 348
Hi Sumit

can't be of much help with the bird. Very tricky!

if it hangs around three weeks I might be able to have a look at it in the field!

my monitor is not too good and i cant make out the primary projection or undertail coverts etc

Last edited:
Here we go again. Tim/Summit - I think this one is more likely to be an acro on overall character - so I'll guess Blyth's Reed. But since I flew over it about 4 hours ago and have been on planes since this time yesterday - I'm too tired to look at it hard :)

Hi Jane,
Hope you had a good look at all our Oriental birds especially all those with chinensis in the scientific. I don't think this one, specially the image on the right, is of a Blyth's. I see a lot of Blyth's and eliminate them fairly easily. I might get a proper shot to enable us to ID the bird. This patch is full of migrating Rusty-rumped Warblers and I am trying to get a decent shot before they leave, so I will go back.
Thanks Tim and Jane.
Cheers!
sumit

I was in central Shanghai for just two days... I'll revise my judgement to I don't know what it is, but pretty certain its not a Hippolais!

looks like two different birds to me.
The first is an accro, Blyths Reed comes to mind,although the supercillium seems to be lacking the bulge just before the eye.
The primary projection looks good though.
The second I havent got a clue !, but it dosent seem right for a Booted or Sykes to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back