• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unidentified North American sandpipers (1 Viewer)

Tomm

Photographed during December in Ecuador.
Unfortunately no better picture available.
A size comparison was difficult, but they were very small.
To me it could be anything from Least, semipalmated, Western, to Baird's sandpiper. The light was very bad, so I am not sure the dark legs were really that dark.
Any suggestions appreciated - Thanks!

Attachments

• sandpipers.jpg
    sandpipers.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,011
Hi Tomm and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin Staff.
Your birds look like Semi-P's to me, but I'm sure someone will correct me!

Last edited:
I have more chance of building a case for winter plumaged Bairds think... come to think of it those bills are pretty fine based.. and there is a lot of primary showing.... :)

ZZzzz! Oh, you're back. While you were away I dreamt that some headcase said they were Baird's.....

Well the more I look at them the less they look like WP Semi P...which is the plumage I'm most familiar with it must be the booze. The structure is all wrong... I am starting think they are Bairds :)

Jane, CJW,

thanks a lot for your enthusiasm and your comments - I wish I could have delivered a better shot. But may be the picture is just not good enough to come to a final conclusion. It was taken during dusk. Thanks anyway!

Tomm

Chris I know Semi P are wildly variable, but all these birds are identical in structure. Semi P's are little tubby things.. with short broad based bills...

Has anyone got any pics of WP Bairds - they always look like walking weetabix here!

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Primary projection is a pretty good argument; only other peep that's got it is White-rumped. Don't know who winters in Ecuador, though-- both of 'em?

Well, I'll go "against the grain"! When I first looked at them they looked like the Semipalm's I see here in Missouri. The more I looked at them the more they looked like Semipalm's. The streaking on the breast is more concentrated toward the sides, leaving mostly white in the middle of the breast, which is what I see on most of the birds that I see. The bill also looks good to me for Semi, a Western (I believe) would have a longer bill and a slight droop toward the end.

Last edited:
Larry Lade said:
Well, I'll go "against the grain"! When I first looked at them they looked like the Semipalm's I see here in Missouri. The more I looked at them the more they looked like Semipalm's. The streaking on the breast is more concentrated toward the sides, leaving mostly white in the middle of the breast, which is what I see on most of the bills that I see. The bill also looks good to me for Semi, a Western (I believe) would have a longer bill and a slight droop toward the end.

Am with you on the breast markings... just about, but they still don't look like Semi P structurally to me.. (heads or bunms as it were)... someting looks wrong on the head pattern too. It doesn't help that we are so tuned in to ID'ing juvs

It looks like they're Baird's Sandpiper to me. I see what you mean, Jane, about them looking structurally not like Semi-palmated.

I'm with Jane on this one. Baird's. Shape & bill is fine. Breast also. Don't think they are W.Rump. But I'm willing to be told otherwise.

Wrong shape for Semi-P, never seen Western. If the legs really aren't black then I haven't got a clue, cuz it sure don't look like Least (only seen 1).

Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back