• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this LGB (Little Grey Bird)? (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

This photo was taken early afternoon on the 21st of March in the Cottonwood Campground in Big Bend NP, Texas. The photo was taken less than 100 yards from the Rio Grande River.

Attachments

• 604-0937c Little Grey Bird.jpg
    604-0937c Little Grey Bird.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 330
My guess would be, being near the Rio Grande, the bird is some sort of flycatcher.

The more I look at it, the more I'm sure that it's a Yellow-rump. You can see the slight bit of yellow right below her wing.

Hi bobsofpa,

May I wish you a warm welcome to Birdforum from all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us - I am sure you will find everyone friendly and helpful.

I am afraid I can't help with the id but it looks like you've got plenty of help.

That definatly looks like a Yellow-Rumped to me, maybe a young one or a female? The yellow patches under the wing is a good point, and it looks like the underside is getting a little black streaking as well...a mrytle maybe, but I havent seen the Audubons subspecies yet, so I cant really guess at that. perhaps the bird had just landed on the ground to eat something
Taco

Unquestionably Yellow-rumped for me. When I was in Charleston SC a couple of years ago I saw loads of Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers, all of them hopping around a lawn. Takes some getting used to for an old world birder - we're not used to seeing our warblers do that!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back