• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help with wee brown bird. (1 Viewer)

Steve G

RAINBIRDER
Whilst in Spain 3 weeks ago I took this single image of a small brown passerine perched on a fence. The bird suddenly materialised whilst I was photographing flamingoes in marismas at the edge of Donana. It seemed to come from adjacent roadside scrub on a raised dirt track with marsh on either side. The marshes comprised of rather short juncus-type plants with large expanses of Crowfoot rather than typical reeds & dense plant cover was absent. I only saw it briefly & just managed to get this single image. I took no notes & didn't bother much at the time but looking at the image now I'm not sure what it is -I had thought it might simply be a Reed warbler pictured at a bad angle to the light resulting in the face being shaded however the eye appears quite large & almost Nightingale-like, the bill shorter & thicker than I would expect & look at the "claws". The bird was about Reed/Cetti's warbler in size but other than that there is nothing extra I can add to the details in the picture.
This will probably turn out to be something obvious but I would be grateful if anyone could put me out of my misery.
Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• wee-broon-bird-macro.jpg
    wee-broon-bird-macro.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 230
  • wee-broon-bird-on-road-to-J.jpg
    wee-broon-bird-on-road-to-J.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 280
Tim Allwood said:
Nightingaley to me Steve
Thanks Tim.
It seemed smaller than Nightingale & there was no obvious red-brown tail. The area was pretty open & exposed though I appreciate it could have been a passage bird. I've no better suggestion however. It'll be interesting to see what the consensus is.

My gut reaction was Garden warbler...On closer examination looks a wee bit gingery - but it has that classic grey spodge below and behind the ear coverts and those stocky lead grey legs are classic!

Jane Turner said:
My gut reaction was Garden warbler...
Hi Jane,
I'm sure you've ringed a few of these LBJs in your time. I've never seen one in the hand myself -do Garden warblers really have such big "talons"?

Hi all,
My initial reaction was for Garden Warbler also:looked to be a Sylvia,and that's the only one that fitted.As has been pointed out,the bill shape,facial pattern and greyish legs all point towards this species.
Harry

I'm gonna go for a nightingale, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the shades of brown in the upper and lower halfs of the body, whereas there is a big contrast witha Garden Warbler.

I have also read that Garden Warrbler's seem to skulk in the undergrowth, so there wouldnt be much chance of seeing one in the open.

Please correct me if anything i have said is wrong as i am very poor at identifying birds.

Nightingale gets my vote.

Hi Graham,

Garden Warblers are notoriously difficult to pinpoint in shrubbery when singing at times but they do make themselves quite visible when they want to. I have seen many in plain view and just to add my two-pence worth...garden warbler for me too. Nightingale, from the experience of seeing only one, appears to be more brown than this bird even without seeing the rufous tail.

P.S. if you think a garden warbler is notoriously skulky, try pinning down a nightingale even from as close as 15 feet!! Not easy! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back