• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenland Wheatear diagnostic features (2 Viewers)

Lucky Birder

Notts Birder
I have two birds here today. One which is quite plump and rather upright and long-legged. It has a whacking brilliant white supercillium that is thicker than the other bird, which is a 'classic' ordinary Northern. The only thing that worries me, is that the peachy tone on the underparts is limited to the throat. Isn't the colour meant to extend further down the breast? Otherwise I would say it is a Greenland.

I will upload the photos tonight, but it might just be a well-marked oenanthe

Anyone got any sure fire way of separating the Greenland from 'ordinary' Northern Wheatear.

- LB

As a general jizz thing, Greenlands are basically 'chunkier' and 'longer' than nominate Northerns; some people say they have a more upright stance, but I reckon that's bollix - for me it's not as obvious as say in Isabelline. The grey upperparts seem to have a brown wash in them, and the black mask appears a very dark brown instead, especially behind the eye. Underparts are a richer buffish orange than nominate, and this is more extensive in Greenland.

Wings will appear longer on Greenland, and you might be able to make out more exposed primary tips; on some (though not all, so it's not diagnostic) birds P2 is well out beyond the tertials on Greenland...

But those are all generalisations; I don't think there's a magic dead cert giveaway.

Jon

Last edited:
I think only biometrics will separate the two forms; Greenland is slightly bigger. I think there can be almost complete overlap in plumage features, although classic Greenland Wheatears are much more brown/orange than than the British breeding birds.

Stuart

Also, there's a big element of 'you'll know it when you see it'. If one fo your birds looks the part, then go with your first impression gut instinct. That's all 99% of other people can do (the ones without the mist nets!).

To me, they look a bit bigger, longer-winged, a lot browner on the back, and a lot more peachy on the front. If you're worried about making a wrong call, then just note is as a 'probable' or 'suspected'. That's the most honest thing to do, as it records the occurrence without taking the leap of judgement.

Its another of those pairs that has huge amounts of overlap. Round about now the Wheatears start looking more Greenlandy, by mid April they look like a different species to the ones that went through in the first week of April. I do see a stance variation, but some of that might be down to the weather I see them in. Another strange thing is that Greenlands round here seem to have a thing for perching in bushes. I used to ring in a reedbed and would catch Greenlands quite frequently but never the more local birds. In the end I think size is the best feature, some Greenland males look more like thrushes.

Here is a classic bird

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4120

In my experience at Spurn, before the real Greenland looking birds come through birds that look less obvious come through. I have discussed this with fellow birders and believe these not so Greenland looking birds are Icelandic birds. I saw a few last weekend and would expect true Greenlands within the next 10 days or so.

Could be wrong though!!!!
Garry

Here's my bird. Sorry it's not too sharp, it was windy at the time and I didn't get another decent chance it was so skittish.

- LB

Attachments

• Possible Greenland Wheatear, 19th April.JPG
    Possible Greenland Wheatear, 19th April.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,237
You can't quite tell from my photo but this was a bigger bird than the other Northern Wheatear. I've got a shot of them together for comparison leuccorrhoa? on the left.

Attachments

• Wheatears.JPG
    Wheatears.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,174
How about these three from April 17th last year. I'd say they were all Greenlands but there's definitely some variation in them!

Attachments

• 3 wheatears 170404.jpg
    3 wheatears 170404.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,069
Hi Adey, my bird yesterday was at Willow Farm. Your middle bird looks a bit like my right hand bird, which I thought was a bright oenanthe. Your left hand one certainly looks like a Greenland.

As I said there are no hard boundaries in this cline! April 17th probably makes them Iceland bound! I'll make an effort to photograph the late May birds this year - they look amazing...

The overlap in plumage features means that 'oenanthe-type' birds at this time of year may actually be heading for Iceland or Greenland. As Jane hints, the date may well be a clue as I suspect that the large majority of British breeders will be on territory by now, so any passage birds may well be heading further north and west.

Stuart

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
As I said there are no hard boundaries in this cline! April 17th probably makes them Iceland bound! I'll make an effort to photograph the late May birds this year - they look amazing...

Just for the record the first Wheatears are just starting to show up here, so there must be good numbers making their way north through Britain now. It's tropical here as well, steady south-easterly winds and a heady 8°C. The place will be full of them by the weekend.

E

Lucky Birder said:
Hi Adey, my bird yesterday was at Willow Farm. Your middle bird looks a bit like my right hand bird, which I thought was a bright oenanthe. Your left hand one certainly looks like a Greenland.

My middle bird seems to have quite a bulky body and also the brownish-black behind the eye face mask as suggested by Cornish Exile.

Ironically, the most orange bird on the left was the slimmest and had the blackest face pattern, so there's obviously a lot of overlap. It also adopted that horizontal stance more, as well - it may have been more alert to something which I didn't notice (I was digiscoping from quite a distance so I don't think it was me!)

There were quite a lot of Wheatears at the site of those three last year (Huncote Embankment) including seven on that particular day - I saw at least one bird on virtually every visit but I've managed to miss all of them this year! Nice to see some good birds being recorded at Willow Farm.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back