• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zuiko 300mm F/2.8 vs. TL APO 804 480mm F/6 (1 Viewer)

Tord,
I would also suggest trying to focus using MF in live view with the 300. MF on "focus by wire" lenses can be tricky, and three shots is not enough. Take more, and re-focus a few times. Then see if there is a difference with AF, and if the AF needs to be fine tuned. I have seen a lot of knockout pictures taken with the 300/2.8 with both ECs. I suspect some flaw in the testing (easy to have happen!) because normally the naked 300 should be better. Many consider it to be one of the best lenses Oly ever made.
I started some tests in MF mode. The fine adjustment is quite tricky, achieving perfect focus is much more difficult than with the scope focuser.

Don't put too much hope in CAF with it on the E-M5. Did you also get an E-M1? The newest firmware update (v1.4) for the E-M1 has made AF with FT lenses significantly better, at least in good light.
I updated the E-M1 to 1.4 and went out for a field test. Few birds around but got some nice photos of hovering dragonflies. Quite good CAF performance with the 300 alone, still OK with the EC14, less good with EC20 but still working. Will post on 500px, later.

I have never liked the focus by wire feature of many AF lenses. The Canon 400/5.6 on the other hand, has full time mechanical MF. It feels very smooth and accurate, almost like an old fashioned MF lens. It is a little tight, and not a quick as some, but I like the accuracy. My old Nikkor 400/5.6 (which I gave to my sister) was much quicker, but the Canon is a much better lens. The only thing I don't really like about it is its relatively long closest focus distance at 3.5 meters. I could see it as being an excellent tele-macro, but one would have to use extension tubes. No big deal... except it would start getting pretty slow.
Our neighbors have put in a biotope (a fancy name for a mosquito breeding station!). Hopefully, these guys will keep then in check:
14798608321_d514deeb65_o.jpg
E-M1+Canon 400/5.6

I was hoping to get more shots, but a female showed up and off they went!;)
Light wasn't all that good anyway. 1/640 at ISO 800.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back