• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shooting through a window (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Has anybody got any tips as to obtaining the best image when shooting through a glass window (double glazed). Are good quality images possible or does quality suffer a lot.

Thanks
Roy C

The only hint I can give other than the obvious make sure the window is clean bit, is to put the camera right up more or less in contact with the glass and to switch the flash off, I have managed to get useful images that way if not the best quality.

Mick

Thanks for the info guys - looks like as near to the glass as poss and square on.

Cheers Roy C

Roy C said:
Has anybody got any tips as to obtaining the best image when shooting through a glass window (double glazed). Are good quality images possible or does quality suffer a lot.

Thanks
Roy C
Hi Roy

I shot this one through my dirty kitchen window today, edited in Photoshop CS2 , Auto Levels and a little sharpening, I was quit pleased with the results.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/116554

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Through Window

Roy C said:
Thats a excellent shot Nick - especially shot through a window.

Hi,

I made some picture through window ( e.g. aquarium or during bus drive ).
But in New Caledonia I want take a picture from Rhacodactylus in the zoo.
The window was dirty and sun from the top, I had no chance.

Best regards
Dieter

The best series of pictures I've ever taken were through the kitchen window. Had a bit of adjusting to do in Photoshop but nothing too complicated. They made great A4 prints too.
Graham

Attachments

• P1040253.jpg
    P1040253.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 171
I tend to prop the front of the lens against the window itself to help with stability. I've been surprised at how sharp photos can be taken through double glazing.

If the windows have white uPVC surrounds then try to place the camera somewhere in the centre of the frame away from the edges as the white plastic can cause reflections/flare.

I'm not so sure angle to glass makes a great deal of difference, the shots below were all at quite oblique angles and taken from a first floor bedroom window.

Attachments

• IMG_9981bo.JPG
    IMG_9981bo.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_9313bo.JPG
    IMG_9313bo.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_5303bo.JPG
    IMG_5303bo.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 195
Great SparrowHawk photo's!! I have been watching Peregrine's today but way too fast for me 8-(
Cheers and happy Christmas from The Machars (Galloway)
Brian

Both the Fieldfare and Sparrowhawk in my 'gallery' were shot through a dg window. A tweak in contrast usually brings the image up to a reasonable standard, certainly good enough for web work if not as prints. Avoid over sharpening as it can give you too much noise or ghosting along edges of outline.

Obviously not posible this time of year, but in warmer times, try sitting in an open window - presuming it will open of course.

If you have a rubber lens hood pressed up against the window you can even try a burst of flash if needed,as long as you have single glazed or fitted double glazing(as opposed so secondary doub glaz)

Roy C said:

Thanks
Roy C

Sometimes it is better. I have a room in my shop I use as a bird blind. I usually open the window. If it is cold out the window is better closed because the front of cold and warm air cause enough turbulance to make getting a razor sharp picture impossible.

Turn off the lights and remove anything that could reflect a glare. Shoot as little angle as possible.

This is an old thread, but perhaps there is an interest in photographing through windows at the socalled Brewster angle (about 53 degrees from the normal to the window pane) so that any reflections are polarized and cutting those reflections out with a polarization filter.

I have not used the method myself, but pictures that I saw look as if there was just a hole there, the window pane disappeared rather completely.

Anyone using this method?

This is an old thread, but perhaps there is an interest in photographing through windows at the socalled Brewster angle (about 53 degrees from the normal to the window pane) so that any reflections are polarized and cutting those reflections out with a polarization filter.

I have not used the method myself, but pictures that I saw look as if there was just a hole there, the window pane disappeared rather completely.

Anyone using this method?
Never heard of the method but I have had better results shooting at an angle to the window rather than square on.

Never heard of the method but I have had better results shooting at an angle to the window rather than square on.

Sorry for the late reply. I agree with Roy here, most of my window shots are at an angle also (I'm too close to the birds if shooting straight on). I thought angled shooting would be disasterous but was very surprised to find it was no problem at all. Here are some examples, I'd say the angle was anywhere between 30-60 degrees on these shots.

Clarke

Attachments

• 81958592.jpg
    81958592.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 80569971.jpg
    80569971.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 82216855.jpg
    82216855.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 82254567.jpg
    82254567.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 72
As someone mentioned further old, it depends on the quality of the glass - older windows have less optically sound glass (here at least), so get better windows!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back