• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide or Camo? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Do any of the tent like hides help keep some insects away?

The hides I've seen in the hunting section of a chain store had these plastic padded sections. I assume to darken the inside and to keep human odor inside. These plastic pads looked like they would keep the heat inside the hide as well.

Are the hides for photography any better as far as keeping cooler than the hunting hides?

Thanks!

If you want insect control use a Thermacell. The meshes will interfere with your lens and photographing. Birds like turkeys and crows won't notice you inside so long as you have back windows closed to where they can not see thru and you move slowly. Poking a lens out thru mesh will spook them almost every time. If you get cold in one you can use a small propane catalytic heater.

Just bought a new bug suit in Advantage timber,it's a netting material ,just wear a t shirt and shorts underneath,great for mosi's and as it's 100f here at the moment great for the heat,and more versatile than a hide as I am always on the move.

I spent a happy 20 minutes at Shrewsbury market talking to the chap who runs the camo shop there. He is a hunter (yeah, I know) but he spoke a lot of sense.

He refused to sell me the 3mx4x camo netting and instead recommended a cheap and cheerful camo poncho, plenty big enough to fit over me, the kit and the wheelchair. Total cost : £15 :)

It's basically a large rectangle of PU coated nylon (so showerproof) about 2m across by 4m overall length, with a head cutout in the middle. The two sides can be clipped together with press studs.

I tested in yesterday and managed to get a lot closer to my ordinary garden birds :) Happy enough :)

While we are talking about costs, I found some camo netting (3mx1.4m) at Scats country store in Newbury (but they are national) for £10.99.

This is the cheapest I have found yet.

Last edited:
If you want insect control use a Thermacell. The meshes will interfere with your lens and photographing. Birds like turkeys and crows won't notice you inside so long as you have back windows closed to where they can not see thru and you move slowly. Poking a lens out thru mesh will spook them almost every time. If you get cold in one you can use a small propane catalytic heater.

How has the Thermacell worked outside in the open vs. inside a hide. I would like to avoid using sprays if I could.

They work great. If there is a wind the stuff from them disperses but so do the mosquitoes. I have used them in south Arkansas where you would need a blood transfusion if you didn't use something and have been able to sit for several hours in a tree comfortably.

I did'nt realise that they were 2 different products(Realtree/Advantage) Colin,so I have just looked at my gear which is advantage:~

Max4 ~ for the marsh.
Hardwoods green ~ for the woods.
Mossy oak brush ~ for the scrub.
I just buy the material from the states and get the tailor to make it up,much cheaper that way and its made to measure.
Keeping warm is'nt a problem here, and it only rained 12 days last year so waterproof is'nt necessary.

Made to measure cammo, now thats posh!!!
Iv'e got to make do with ex army Flektarn
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back