• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper - Long Island NY USA (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

Photos taken June 6, 2008 at Jones Beach on Long Island.

Looks like a Sanderling to me, but Sibley's range map shows them as a winter bird on the east coast.

Attachments

• Sandpiper1.jpg
    Sandpiper1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Sandpiper2.jpg
    Sandpiper2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Sandpiper3.jpg
    Sandpiper3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 59
yes a sanderling, it's best not to think of birds as having 'summer' and 'winter' ranges, better to think in terms of 'breeding' and 'non-breeding'. High arctic waders can be seen away from the breeding grounds all year, migration lasting till June, and the first ones coming back July, also younger non-breeding birds often stay on the non-breeding grounds all year.

yes a sanderling, it's best not to think of birds as having 'summer' and 'winter' ranges, better to think in terms of 'breeding' and 'non-breeding'. High arctic waders can be seen away from the breeding grounds all year, migration lasting till June, and the first ones coming back July, also younger non-breeding birds often stay on the non-breeding grounds all year.

agreed, spring will barely have reached the breeding range of this species yet!

Rob

I agree on Sanderling. I believe that Sanderlings are present year around (sometimes Juveniles, Breeding, Non-breeding).

Looks like a Sanderling to me, but Sibley's range map shows them as a winter bird on the east coast.

Agree on Sanderling. Looking over my Sibley's, it looks like several other of the shorebird range maps are also like that (including, for example, Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knot, and Dunlin). In fact, all my guides (National Geographic, National Wildlife Federation) have maps like those. I would consider all those maps to be incorrect, and find them rather puzzling. Such birds certainly can be present in winter, but most are also definitely present during migration, and in fact most of the year (as noted above). My Massachusetts Audubon Society checklist gives the following dates of regular occurrence for these species in Massachusetts:

Sanderling: Second week of July through the first week of June (so only "absent" in the latter part of June and beginning of July), with scattered reports throughout the year

Dunlin: Fourth week of July through fourth week of May (so only "absent" in June, July, and the beginning of August), with scattered reports throughout the year

Ruddy Turnstone: Second week of May through first week of June, second week of July through third week of October, with scattered reports throughout the year

Red Knot: Third week of May through the first week of June, and second week of July through last week of October, with scattered reports throughout the year

Hopefully, you can find some similar information for your local area.

Best,
Jim

From firsthand observation, Sanderlings are present at Jones Beach during every month of the year, least so in winter (when they are outnumbered by Dunlin from about Nov or Dec to about March).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back