• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Topography Pictures Wanted (1 Viewer)

Talking about beaks... I was just wondering about showing other different beak types as well... insect /seed/nut eaters etc?

What thoughts?

D

Hi Keith,

Great thread here, somehow missed this one until it popped up a few days ago. Trawled through some old sketches, a few found that might suit you interests with regard to topography, here they are...

Attachments

• askruff1.jpg
    askruff1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Goldcrests ink.jpg
    Goldcrests ink.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Meally Redpoll pencil.jpg
    Meally Redpoll pencil.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Ruff 1.jpg
    Ruff 1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Little Stint.jpg
    Little Stint.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 76
Hi Keith,

Great thread here, somehow missed this one until it popped up a few days ago. Trawled through some old sketches, a few found that might suit you interests with regard to topography, here they are...

Lovely work buzzard12, the stint picture is just the sort of thing that we can use but can I be really cheeky, is it possible that you may have a picture of a stint showing the 'braces' on the back, that would be a real bonus for the page.

HI Keith,
here is the longbilled curlew I promised, I saw it at Bolinas Lagoon at Stinson Beach California, about 1 hr north of San Francisco. It had a two tone bill, I see others do not all have this, but I painted it like I saw it. Hope it works for you.

Attachments

• curlew-bill.gif
    curlew-bill.gif
    285.5 KB · Views: 66
Hi Keith,
I've been doing studies of a Rough Legged Hawk, so thought this might work for a beak thing....it's accurate, the beak of this hawk is quite small compared to other raptors, but maybe not enough detail for you, if not you can leave it off.|=)

Attachments

• RLH-side-study_9873.gif
    RLH-side-study_9873.gif
    137.3 KB · Views: 60
Don't know if this is any help - it's one from my book in four languages. If it's any use, I have topographies for the head and wings.

Attachments

• body_topo.pdf
    268.8 KB · Views: 102
He must have been bobbing around on the water with a green hood on to entice that smile from her - superb image!

great pic

out of curiosity- is that a juvenile with beak still growing, hence the short beak and toothy smile?

I wouldn't normally expect to get to see anything like that much of the serrations on a sawbill's closed bill- but then bearing in mind Tim's comment, maybe they don't find me attractive enough to smile at..

Hi, thanks for the comments.
The bird is a young bird. Part of a group of three fledglings. I watched the family for about two months. The mother taught them how to fish over a two week period and then departed. They were great fun and, after a while, spent most of the time coming to bread (and chips) with the local mallards. They gave the mallards a really hard time. I must admit it was quite fun to watch though.

I believe the stripe is diagnostic of a first year bird.

Thanks.

Is it possible for some of you extremely talent artists to help us again?
We have been improving the way the Topography Article can be used for identification descriptions and we think that linking a word, e.g. supercilium to a painting/drawing/diagram gives a very good optical explanation, particulary for those with English as a second language. The difficulty arises in that each drawing needs a separate page so that when it is linked to, the image is displayed.
To that end would like to create a composite image of tails showing the various types and one of beaks which shows the following features:

Mandible, upper and lower
Culmen
Nostril, differents form including tubular etc
Nail
Decurved
Recurved
Cere
Unguis, maxillary and mandibular
Latericorn
Ramicorn
Gonys + spot
Nasal tuft and bristles
Pouch
Knob
Casque
Tomium

There might be a few more that we have forgotten.

The tail composite would ideally show a front, rear and side view and include upper and undertail coverts, forked, graduated, square, rounded, cocked, streamers, central and outer retrices, barring and bands etc. And of course anything you can think of.

Thank you very much

An example showing a link to an image. In this case, the eye ring link goes directly to Tim Wootton's drawing which shows not just the eye ring but all the other features that can be linked in this way.

Thanks so much for your input here mayoayo.

Unfortunately we cannot use pictures such as these. In order to maintain the integrity of Opus, all images and artwrok used must be the work of a member (except in a very few exceptional circumstances)

Sure, I just thought that those diagrams illustrate so well some of the specific features that Andy pointed ,that i thought they could be of use to any member wiling to make a study of the subject for the opus

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back