• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon fieldscope eyepiece question... (1 Viewer)

Talusman

I'm considering selling my Pentax scope for a Nikon FSiiiED or 82ED. However, I'm afraid the included zoom MCii eyepiece will not have sufficient eye relief. Looking online the only other eyepiece I see as readily available for these scopes is a 24X/30X "digiscoping" eyepiece.

I'd need both a ~20-30X eyepiece and a ~40-50X eyepiece, both with good (15mm+) eye relief. Are these eyepieces available anymore? I've seen people trying to snatch up pieces from Japan, etc. It would seem odd that Nikon would not offer any solution for eyeglass wearers other than a low-power digiscoping eyepiece.

If anyone has experience with the 20-60X zoom and eyeglasses, please let me know!

Thank you,

-Jeremy

I wear glasses and both zooms (20-60 and 20-45) were fine with glasses. I would say a bit tight compared to maybe a Vixen zoom but I could see the whole field. Your glasses may vary!

I have a 24x/30x fixed that I will be selling soon but they are out there.

Thanks for the reply. Did the 20-60 zoom work ok with glasses throughout the zoom? The only spec for ER I can find is 14.1mm at 20x. (No specs at higher powers).

-Jeremy

I had to push my face down a bit more on high zoom but it was not unusual compared to other zooms I've used.

The real point though is that like many others, I prefer one or two fixed EPs for regular use. Wider angle and usually better ER.

If you think about a 20x and push it up to 40x, that is really only a 100% increase in size but it also magnifies the heat waves that might be present. I think you'll find it very unusual to go up to 60x because conditions have to be really good to be useful.

So with the zoom you'll really have to try it but I'd say it's fine - but I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you my real bias!

I wear glasses and both zooms (20-60 and 20-45) were fine with glasses. I would say a bit tight compared to maybe a Vixen zoom but I could see the whole field. Your glasses may vary!

i would disagree with this statement. I found the nikon zoom on my ed50 very uncomfortable to use. Suggest you get a demo before you take the plunge on the zoom options.

which pentax scope have you got?

Thanks,

I have the PF65EDA w/14mm pentax EP. I agree I'd rather go with a fixe EP on a Nikon, but the scopes only seem to be sold as a kit with the zoom included. Maybe I could find a buyer/trade the zoom for a fixed.

-Jeremy

I don't find either of the Nikon zooms comfortable to use with glasses. The 30x fixed MC or DS version is very comfortable, as is the 50x fixed, but you'll have to order the latter from Japan as described in other threads.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back