• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TC or TN or neither on E-M1 (1 Viewer)

DanC.Licks

AKA Daniel Bradley
TC or TN or neither on E-M1?

The answer is.....
12537642595_3ab35f0d87_o.jpg

12537775683_e93fa93dba_o.jpg

12537766603_b5b0d35e20_o.jpg

Neither! To my eye I get more contrast and better detail by up-resing the naked E-M1 image. Both the TN and the TC gave me some improvement with the Nikon D7000, but that does not seem to be the case with the E-M1.

Last edited:
I'm also questioning the use of those devices. I have a 1.5X TN that I made from a Minolta lens and a 2X ED barlow.

Adding these unfortunately adds vibration and makes focusing more difficult. It also makes the bird more difficult to find. Finally, it requires more light, stealing one (TN) or 2(barlow) stops to an already not very fast scope at f/7.1.

The IQ on the EM-5 was quite good and, IMO, it is even better with the EM-1 so it can take quite a bit of cropping if one does not need large size prints. Lately, I have been using the scope without them, cropping substantially when needed, and I have been pleased with the results.

Now, instead of having the TN installed by default, I only use it when the bird is very far. I still carry the barlow but I don't use it because it is difficult to find the bird and vibration makes focusing difficult.

I found that in the past, that cropping was better until subject was at a long distance and the TN/TC was then better.

Been without a camera for over a year now, haven't really missed it with the house move and work commitments. Decided that I'm going to get the new Nikon D3300 soon, mainly because I need something decent to photograph my paintings each month. Looks like a good sensor to use on the scope too. DXO rated it at 25th place overall on their list of best sensors. Nikon removed the low pass filter to improve detail and at 24mp it should be good. Low noise at high ISO too.

Paul.

Last edited:
Sorry for dumbass question, but what is a TN?
Thanks

Edit: Hello Carlos, we answered the question at the same time !

No stupid questions, only stupid answers. I hope my answer will pass the test :t:

A TN, or tele-negative, is like a TC, or tele-converter, but with specifications that will work well with a scope.

We owe this discovery to Paul Corfield who has shown us how to make one with lens elements taken from a vintage zoom lens purchased for peanuts on eBay. Most TNs are in the 1.4-2.0X range.

The TN is attached directly to the camera and the easiest way is to install the lens assembly inside a cheap manual extension tube made for your camera. Again on eBay.

See this thread for more information:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=182146

Try it, it's fun and it works surprisingly well.

Regards
Jules

See this thread to learn more

Last edited:
Wow, I am consistently impressed with oly m43s. That much crop-happy resolution on that tiny sensor and it still has pretty good DR? Sorcery I say, sorcery.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back