• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White monster (1 Viewer)

E-M1 + scope clearly has the best IQ, but the 500 with the 1.4x TC is not so far behind. Quite a difference at 500mm. The AF is an absolute dream! There is no way I could focus the 5DII manually as accurately as the AF. There the E-M1 shines. For anything that moves, I MUCH prefer the OVF with that lens on the 5DII. Bright and smooth, and NO FLICKERING! I have a lot of trouble simply finding things in the EVF.

E-M1 + scope clearly has the best IQ, but the 500 with the 1.4x TC is not so far behind. Quite a difference at 500mm. The AF is an absolute dream! There is no way I could focus the 5DII manually as accurately as the AF. There the E-M1 shines. For anything that moves, I MUCH prefer the OVF with that lens on the 5DII. Bright and smooth, and NO FLICKERING! I have a lot of trouble simply finding things in the EVF.

Different things for different people... I would choose a good EVF like on the EM-1 anytime over an OVF. For me, WYSIWYG is a blessing and I don't have problems with flickering.

Autofocus on the Big White is indeed nice, as is the price... Of course, I would prefer AF but I think I will pass for now !

Reach is extremely important for me. 5D + 500mm + 1.4X is only 700mm net. EM-1 + 1.5X TC + 600mm 80ED is 1800mm net (2400mm with 2X barlow). Of course, the FF sensor allows more cropping but certainly not 2.6 times more.

If I ever win big at the lottery, I will get a 7D + 600mm + 1.4X and 2X TCs. Of course, the odds are against me... BOF !

Odds? I don't even buy tickets!;)
I am not a big fan of FF at all. Don't need it. Not into WA. Canon seems to be lagging behind on the development of the 7D II, (iDs are too BIG!) maybe because everyone is jumping on the FF bandwagon. ("FF" and mega-MP sells cameras!) For what we do, you end up throwing away a lot of pixels. FF cameras with a crop mode make good sense though. The wider field of view makes it much easier to find and track things.
I don't buy the "net" numbers. A 700mm lens is a 700mm lens, no mater what you put it on. It is all about pixel pitch; small for detail, big for punch.
I like the 600 too, but unless you get the Mk II version, to the tune of what, $14,000?, it is just too heavy! The new Canon Mk III TCs have made the slightly shorter lenses much more useful. Big improvement in TC technology!
WYSIWYG is good in theory, but it has drawbacks. Fine for static subjects, problematic for moving subjects or when moving the camera. If I have my camera setup for it, it makes the EVF even more restless. On top of the normal flickering caused by movement, you get the constant flashing of the EVF brightening and dimming as you move. That becomes especially bothersome if there are large differences in the brightness of different areas of the subject. So your eye is also going crazy compensating while concentrating on the actual subject. I prefer to turn the boost on and let it react more slowly. I don't need to see everything in the VF exactly the way it is going to be in the end. That is what PP is for. Get the focus and exposure right and think about everything else later. Like Yogi Berra once said when his batting coach told him to use his head, "I can't think and bat at the same time!" Same with photography, esp with a scope. I have enough to worry about just getting the focus and exposure right, not to mention finding and following the bird.

About OVFs. I find out of focus object much easier to see in an OVF than in the EVF. I find it therefore easier to single out a bird on a branch, for instance, with an OVF. The smoother blur of the out of focus bird is just easier to identify. But I love the size and brightness of the EVF, no question!

Right. TS 90/600 APO triplet carbon. They quit making the carbon tube model because aluminum is better for letting the scope adjust to temperature changes, and that is important for the astro-photographers. I took the carbon tube to save weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back