• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excess lubricant? (1 Viewer)

PhilaBirder

I gave my wife a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 bins a year or so ago, and she loves them!

But... here's what they just started doing: Especially in warmer weather, we think, and it makes sense, when holding the bins with one hand, the side that isn't being gripped slowly rotates down as if being adjusted for someone with really close-together eyes. Why they didn't always do this is beyond me. We are getting ready to send them back (she contacted Zeiss customer service, and they just said send them, they didn't give any explanation).

Has anyone else experienced this. If there's something we can do, without voiding the warranty, of course, we'd like to try. She really hates being without them. She takes them everywhere.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have the HD, but have the Victory FL, never had that happen, it sounds as though the hinge just needs tightening a bit, easy fix for Zeiss, it shouldn't take long, be patient. I wouldn't mess with them yourself if Zeiss have said they will do it. Though it is unusual to get loose so quickly.

Last edited:
:hi:
Hi PhilaBirder,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

That happens often enough so it is not unheard of. On some binoculars it is easy to fix and on others it is harder but it always is easy for the manufacturer to fix it right.

It is a bit of an inconvenience to send it back to Zeiss but don't worry about it, they will fix it right.

Bob

My Zeiss 10x40 and 8x30 Dialyt had the same problem. I sent them to zeiss and said make the hinge 'very tight' and they did so. Now it takes considerable effort to move the hinge. Something I like and others may not.

The Zeiss warranty is top notch but you may have to wait several weeks.

My Zeiss 10x40 and 8x30 Dialyt had the same problem. I sent them to zeiss and said make the hinge 'very tight' and they did so. Now it takes considerable effort to move the hinge. Something I like and others may not.

The Zeiss warranty is top notch but you may have to wait several weeks.

Well you had good luck with that, but don't ask Zeiss to take the slack
out of the focuser on the Dialyts. I tried twice and the guys in the shop
must have laughed, they showed some parts used, but did not do
anything to change things.
Tightening a hinge is simple with any binocular.

I have a complaint against Zeiss service for that, not reliable.

Jerry

NDHunter, which Dialyts do / did you own?

BTW, I almost bought your Leica 10x25's. They were a great deal.

My next great deal is the Zeiss Conquest 10x42 I just listed for sale.

Check it out. I still have my first one, these are a great binocular.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back