• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RAW prog? (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Noticed in a prev thread re testing cameras etc,a RAW prog was mentioned called www.rawtherapee.com There is a http before the www. Has anyone tried/used this prog.It is a free download,but is not a specified prog as such.It has ,I think been designed by the guy who runs the forum/site where it is advertised.
Just wondered if anyone had used,or does use ,and has found it is a safe prog to use,and relatively simple.
Thanks,
Christine

I've not tried it Christine but I researched RAW convertors earlier this year - I remember this got very mixed reviews, with the biggest complaint being how slow it was to use.

I've played with Rawtherapee and - to be honest - I don't like it.

It has no effective highlight recovery (something I'm used to from Bibble and RawShooter) and - in my experience - the images from Rawtherapee come out very noisy compared with say, RawShooter or Cap One, and at the expense of detail.

As Mark says, it's slow too, even on my reasonably specced PC.

It seems to play quite nicely with Nikon RAW files though, I understand.

Thanks,Mark and Keith.I won't go to the trouble of downloading it.I'll stick with Elements 4.0,ie when i get around to practising RAW!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back