• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (4 Viewers)

I need to find a more powerful magnifying glass. I caught a titchy Argyresthia sp. this morning but just could not see it well enough to be sure what it was, probably cupresella.

Not a lot else on what I thought would be a good night.

Steve

Just three moths last night from my ''Heath Robinson''. A Grey-Pine Carpet, an Iron Prominent (one of my favourites) and my 4th Pale Tussock of the last seven days (doing a fair imitation of a troubled Viking, wearing cape and night shirt! :-O

Attachments

• P2230022.jpeg   Iron Prominent.jpeg
    P2230022.jpeg Iron Prominent.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 14
  • P2230020.jpeg    Grey-Pine Carpet.jpg
    P2230020.jpeg Grey-Pine Carpet.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 16
  • P2230011.jpeg     Pale Tussock or Viking in a bad mood.jpeg
    P2230011.jpeg Pale Tussock or Viking in a bad mood.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 18
Still not big on numbers here, pathetic really but my three best from last night.

Gold Spot, Blood-vein and Broken-barred Carpet

Attachments

• P5270377.jpg
    P5270377.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P5270380.jpg
    P5270380.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 12
  • P5270383.JPG
    P5270383.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 17
I need to find a more powerful magnifying glass. I caught a titchy Argyresthia sp. this morning but just could not see it well enough to be sure what it was, probably cupresella. Steve

I may be teaching grandma to suck eggs here, Steve, sorry if so, but you do know looking through your binoculars the 'wrong' way makes an excellent magnifying glass, yes/no?

I may be teaching grandma to suck eggs here, Steve, sorry if so, but you do know looking through your binoculars the 'wrong' way makes an excellent magnifying glass, yes/no?

Yes - must admit that slipped my mind this morning. Always shows how mucky the lenses are!

Steve

Just to check; is this a Common Swift - it seems much more marked on the trailing edge than book and some online pictures I found. Thanks

Can't be more than 3/4 mile in a straight line. Maybe less. Never had one!

Today's score:

53 moths of 16 species, so more variety.

27 Heart and Dart easily the biggest score, nothing else more than Treble Lines with 4.

Snout and Vine's Rustic NFY, though I may have misid'd the latter and might have done again but for warnings on here about the pitfall. Angle Shades, White Ermine and Buff Tip the aesthetic winners.

Thursley this morning for a session with Colin and the Redstarts: Cinnabar, Yellow Shell and Latticed Heath bycatch.

John

Last edited:
On tenterhooks tomorrow then!

Thanks to James I am now able to notify this morning's score. 51 moths of 9 species with 33 of the ever-popular Heart and Dart taking the honours. 7 Treble Lines second with 5 Shuttles trailing in third.

Moths of most interest were a Seraphim (tick number 18 this year) and a Peacock; a Common Marbled Carpet had rejected the trap in favour of the kitchen.

John

Sorry John, Nada....in fact pathetic with 1 x Willow Beauty and 1 x Heart and Dart. I even positioned it close to a Honeysuckle in hope.

Have you all noticed that the site is now automatically resizing images, it didn't used to?

My images were all under the 1mb limit but they were still further reduced by about 2/3

Last night I had -
2 Pale Tussocks (males), 2 Treble Lines, 12 Light Brown Apple Moths, 1 Pale Prominent, 2 Small Elephant Hawk-moths, 5 Nutmegs, 2 Green Carpets, 10 Heart & Dart, 1 PINE HAWKMOTH, 1 White Ermine, 5 Common Wainscot, 3 Freyer's Pugs, 1 Scalloped Hazel, 1 Argyresthia trifasciata, 1 Grey Dagger agg., 1 MAIDEN'S BLUSH, 1 Udea olivalis, 1 Light Emerald, 1 Willow Beauty, 1 NOTOCELIA UDDMANNIANA, 3 Large Nutmeg, 1 Broken-barred Carpet, 1 Garden Carpet, 1 Shuttle-shaped Dart, 2 Celypha lacunana, 1 Ptycholoma lecheana.
1 Cockchafer.

Capitals denote new for garden. Positively thrilled by the Pine Hawk, probably the least colourful Hawk but what a flyer and huge. Subtly graceful.

That Gold Spot is nice, hope I get one.

Sitting on patio at 11:40 watching the MV and thinking 'this is rubbish, nothing coming in'. Look up and 6yds away is a badger watching me.
I know they are around here but not something I expected in the garden. Well pleased.
Damn good those Robinson traps.

Sitting on patio at 11:40 watching the MV and thinking 'this is rubbish, nothing coming in'. Look up and 6yds away is a badger watching me.
I know they are around here but not something I expected in the garden. Well pleased.
Damn good those Robinson traps.

Probably waiting for you to go away so it could access some tasty moths ...

:eat:

28 May and more of the same really. 16 Heart and Dart still way ahead of even resurgent Shuttle-shaped Darts' effort of 7. 37 individuals of 11 species in total: Dark Arches NFY and a nice Bright-line Brown-eye without the ragged edge on the first one of the year. Another Poplar Hawk-moth kept the big moth sequence on track but it must be time for something new....

John

Up until yesterday my garden moth list numbered 5. Pending ID confirmations I have quadrupled that overnight with my first session with a brand new moth trap! Had a very enjoyable morning sorting through the goodies, with my favourites attached. (I am still at a stage where I am pretty oblivious to rarity value and judge quality purely on the look of the thing. Interesting to see if that changes over time. I hope not!)

And at one point there was the following exchange -

Me (engrossed in photographing Pale Tussock): "Is that a Kingfisher I can hear?"

Arch: "Ooh, yes, its on that TV aerial!! There it goes!"

I was too slow - missed it!

Lesser Swallow Prominent
Elephant Hawk
Pale Tussocks
Scorched Wing
Peppered

Attachments

• IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4128.JPG
    IMG_4128.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4203.JPG
    IMG_4203.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4219.JPG
    IMG_4219.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 13
I seem to be in a rut of catching around 20 moths a night - this morning's haul of exactly 20 included 3 NFY though: White Ermine (a nice buff one which almost fooled me), Shoulder-striped Wainscot and Spectacle. These take my garden year list up to 69.

Steve

Still not big on numbers here, pathetic really but my three best from last night.

Gold Spot, Blood-vein and Broken-barred Carpet

Nice Gold Spot Andy, I've never had one here, I live in hope.

I didn't trap last night but the previous night I got 95 macros and 29 micros plus a few that would need dissection to ID. I don't bother with those.
New for garden were Grey Carpet, Lathronympa strigana, Homoeosoma sinuella, Notocelia trimaculana and Epinotia bilunana.
New for year were Scorched Wing, Elephant Hawk-moth, Angle Shades, Marbled Brown, Mottled Rustic, Anania perlucidalis and Scoparia ambigualis.

Lewis

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back