• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

For those interested, I spoke to Carles (Lopez-Jurado) about the Slender-billed Gull sighting, and he kindly provided some historical context. The below information is maintained by him as a reference to use for the AOB (the annual Balearic Islands Bird Report), but he kindly gave me permission to share here.

Chroicocephalus genei (abans Larus genei). Gavina de bec prim. Gaviota picofina (ES)

Estatus: hivernant rar (MA-EI-FO). Migrant escàs (MA) i rar (ME-EI-FO).

Selecció: tots els registres rebuts. Dos tipus de poblacion, la mas abundante es estival, pasa el invierno en la costa atàntica Africa y llega en marzo aprox.. La otra es sedentària en la península, es mas escasa y va en aumento. Records: 16 ex. badia Pollença IV-1993. 11 ex. s’Albufera IV-1988. 5 ex. estany Pudent IV-2014. 7 ex. Salobrar IX-2006. 4 ex. ses Salines EI IV-2005. Cria delta Ebre (25-40 colles/1987, Camargue, Sardenya (centenars).

So an island record, but there have previously been two other double-figure records.

Thanks Jason, I couldn’t find that information but it’s very interesting.
As you say, there have been double-figure records before but you have topped them all! What a sight they must have been.
I believe the White-winged tern was still present this morning.
I ventured to the tower at Albercutx.
Eleven Honey Buzzard went through, many of them at eye-level.
A very close encounter with an immature Black vulture was memorable.
All six of us had a great morning where the views across Pollença and Alcudia bays were as fabulous as ever, it really is a spectacular place to watch birds.
Mike

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 32- 26TH MARCH-2ND APRIL 2016
CRISTINA'S LAPTOP AND A COLLARED FLYCATCHER
As my wife's health was not so good, we definitely needed a mid-day flight, and having seen a BA plane the year before, I asked our friends at WildWings to investigate, and they found an ideal flight with BA from Heathrow, so we made our way for the first time to Terminal 5. This was much bigger than any other terminal we had flown from, but it seemed pretty efficient, and the boys had loads to look at as the planes came in and out remorselessly. The flight went well until we landed- and the pilot took a wrong turn and ended up down a dead-end taxiway outside the fire station at PMI. He managed to turn round in a very confined space, and rather sheepishly appeared in the doorway to his cockpit to see us off the plane when we eventually got to the stand. Perhaps he had never been to PMI before, as BA were a new addition to the airlines flying there. At the hotel some more upgrading of rooms had occurred, and we were back with one of our two rooms being a family one with views over the bay. That evening a familiar call meant that the Scops was back, although I couldn't see it in the big tree by the Uyal.
On the Sunday we were stuck at the hotel for most of rthe day due to my wife's ME, and I only got to La Gola, but there was a site tick there in the form of an obliging Great White Egret and in the pines nearby were a Blue Tit (at sea level) , some Siskins and two Crossbills. I used a computer at the hotel to book a car with Vanrell at Port d'Alcudia, but then someone vandalised the keyboard, so the confirmation was uncertain.
The Monday was a good day as the centre at La Gola was open, and I met the charming and helpful Cristina for the first time, and she very kindly offered me the use of her lap-top to check the car booking and type my reports on to this site (see Mallorca 2016 thread). An Osprey also posed very satisfactorily on the special Osprey post in La Gola. in the afternoon I noted the road works on the coast road, which caused the buses to be diverted, and mean some circuitous routings when we had the car- and the fact the works had no lights on them at night was not too helpful. What was helpful was the presence of a flock of Balearic Shearwaters in the Bay in the evening, and a close sighting of the Scops Owl in the hotel garden that evening.
On Tuesday our car was meant to be delivered- and after a long wait it was- a black Polo, which we tried out up the hill to the Albercutx watchpoint- but there was no sign of the Alpine Accentors recently reported. In the afternoon another new piece of birding infrastructure was available- the new tower at Albufereta- which was certainly impressive and allowed more of the area to be clearly observed.
Wednesday I went with one of my sons to Albufera via Maristany (Tufted Duck) but found the water levels low, and only Marbled Teal, Curlew and Water Pipit out of the ordinary. Having a car for more than 3 days was a great improvement, as i could pop out to the Boquer, PSW or Can Cuarassa and only take 5 minutes to get there. On Thursday we stayed local in increasing heat and humidity, but I was able to show the Scops to a small group in the evening, as the winds grew stormy. Bearing in mind the havoc caused on balconies by storms in other years we took everything in off the balcony that night, and were glad that we had, as by the morning sunbeds and chairs were again in the pool, and it was pouring with rain with a strong NE wind.
A stormy day is not ideal for a trip into the mountains, and as it poured with rain we went via Caimari up to Lluc, but as it was still pouring with rain we ate our rolls in the car, and retired to the hotel. However, the rain eased somewhat, so i went down to Maristany again, where loads of Hirundines were feeding low over the water, and, as hoped, among them was a Red-rumped Swallow, showing really well and close in as I scoped from the car window.
By Saturday morning the weather was back to bright warm sunshine, so we set off for Raixa, having checked that it was definitely open this time. We went via Palmanyola- a great name for a new settlement halfway between Palma and Bunyola! The house was very interesting with nice gardens and grounds, but my wife's keenness to stay resulted in us getting locked in after closing time and having to be released by a none-too-happy security guard. At least there was the interesting sound of s Scops Owl calling in the daytime. Delivering the family back to the hotel, I drove to the pine avenue below the Boquer, stepped out of the car and immediately saw a Collared Flycatcher. I got out my camera to try to get a photo but it would not co-operate. I rushed back to La Gola to report it to Cristina, who had also had Ilya McLean, another contributor to this site, say that he too had seen the bird in the same area. Interestingly the only other Collared Flycatcher i have seen on the island was nearby in 2002 after a similar storm with NE winds. The Scops brought a great day to a great end by showing really well in the evening...........

What a fantastic pair of finds Jason and Mike!

If the White-winged Tern is still there I'd be quite keen to go and see it but I didn't see any reports yesterday or this morning sadly.

I had a fantastic morning at Albercuix on Saturday, it was great to meet everyone and to (finally!) see some Mallorcan Honey Buzzards! I've spent so long searching for them in an empty sky here in Es Capdella ;)

There are still some nice birds around here, with the Red-rumped Swallows showing every day (except this morning) and Alpine Swifts around on most days. It would be fascinating to know where these are breeding. A Black Kite showed nicely yesterday over the same field as the swallows frequent and, even better, there were 12 Eleonora's Falcons there this morning! I wonder what I missed there earlier in the spring...

A fantastic morning at the tower. I don’t know the full figures but I know one group of 43 Honey Buzzard went through slowly, all together. Now why couldn’t that have happened yesterday?
I have seen a video and it’s very impressive.
Thanks again to the Mallorca Raptor Count and Juanjo in particular.
I’m off to the salt pans in the morning and I won’t have to hide in the undergrowth when the police helicopter comes by. That will be a relief, I have been on edge most days, not really understanding what we could and couldn’t do. I don’t like breaking the rules.
Mike

I totally agree Mike! I finally felt able to explore El Torro/Santa Ponca to try and find a spot from which to view the lakes of Santa Ponca Golf Club, which have an amazing collection of sightings on eBird. Sadly I found it very difficult to get much a view, but still (rather tantalisingly!) had some nice waterbird sightings, including two spectacular Squacco Herons, one of which had seemingly befriend a Stone Curlews. Lots of other birds too, with an abundance of Stone Curlews, two Common Pheasants and a Corn Bunting. The highlight for me, however, was getting an overdue Mallorca tick in the form of a Northern Wheatear, distantly feeding on the green. Also two Mediterranean Tortoises, one of which I found less than two metres from my feet while watching a Pheasant!

Does anyone know if Santa Ponca golf club is in any way accessible without being a member? I'd love to explore it more, there's clearly a fantastic diversity of species there but it's really difficult to view from outside!

Cheers

Attachments

• 2505squacco.jpg
    2505squacco.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 2505wheatear2.jpg
    2505wheatear2.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 62
  • ECAE8D44-22D5-464E-BE31-634E3AADC428.jpeg
    ECAE8D44-22D5-464E-BE31-634E3AADC428.jpeg
    730.1 KB · Views: 28
Hi Gregor
My friend Phil from Santa Ponça goes regularly to the Golf II. And he says there is no way to view from inside the boundary. I have always set my scope up in front of the low wall near the entrance with views of the lake. I have seen lots of great species there but mostly distant.
I know Pep has been there before so if he knows any other way to view the birds, I’m sure he will post.
Mike

Hi Gregor
My friend Phil from Santa Ponça goes regularly to the Golf II. And he says there is no way to view from inside the boundary. I have always set my scope up in front of the low wall near the entrance with views of the lake. I have seen lots of great species there but mostly distant.
I know Pep has been there before so if he knows any other way to view the birds, I’m sure he will post.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I’ll try by the entrance next time! I started at Merendero but visibility was really poor from there. It’s a shame that there’s no way to view from inside because some fantastic things must turn up there. But it’s really exciting to know I can find some good wetland birds so close to home!

Hi Gregor
Mike

Hello,
To watch the place from outside is very very difficult, long views, not viewing the best places.
I dont know the solution, when I have been inside was with a permit inside the course.
I think there are not good solutions, because if you go inside, they will locate you easily.

I knew that if I spent most evenings watching the sea from my local lighthouse that something good would eventually turn up.
Having watched nothing but shearwaters for many hours, a very distinctive bird came into view. It took a few seconds before I realised I was looking at a skua species. It was at 21.05 so the light was fading. The bird looked very dark, almost black but the pale belly was so prominent. I then noticed a dark breast band contrasting with the pale collar giving a capped appearance. The tail was broad at the end and long. At that point I realised I was looking at an adult Pomarine skua.
It very obligingly sat on the sea in the distance but all attempts to photograph it failed.
It’s a very mixed blessing finding something so rare. I feel a great dilemma about what to do next. Single observer in fading light and no photographs doesn’t bode well.
One thing is for sure, I will be there tomorrow.
Mike

I also went to Salobrar this morning.
One Gull-billed tern was nice, five Turnstones were a bit of a surprise, two Curlew sandpipers were present and the whole place was awash with juvenile Avocets, Shelduck and Black-winged stilts.
Perhaps they have enjoyed being left alone without endless streams of tourists all heading for the beach.
A group of ten Grey heron were flying above Eddie’s track and the Flamingoes are still playing at procreation without success.
Mike

I have just been watching videos of Pomarine skua and I have no doubt at all about this sighting.
I don’t quite feel the elation of finding a rarity though, all rather flat.
I just hope I can get photographs if it shows again.
Mike

I have just been watching videos of Pomarine skua and I have no doubt at all about this sighting.
I don’t quite feel the elation of finding a rarity though, all rather flat.
I just hope I can get photographs if it shows again.
Mike

I assume that it’s now firmly on your list though Mike?

Sea watching seldom offers photo opportunities for fly-past or even medium-distance floating birds (except mute swan maybe!) and when you’re confident, it doesn’t help anyone if you throw the record away. Sometimes others may set seemingly unreachable standards for acceptance, and you have to live with that, but you know what you saw! I just wish I could be standing with you again!

Stew

Thanks Stew, that’s really helpful.
I was never a sea watcher until I came to live here. It’s a frustrating business to say the least.
I was accompanied by Pep and Jason tonight and I was telling them about our time together at the Porto Petro lighthouse, our two Yelkouan shearwaters and Sparrowhawk. A great day which was sadly not duplicated tonight.
I have never known the sea to be so unproductive, hardly anything to be seen. I could have predicted that but it was very nice to have some company. Jason found a Roller on his way over and took some super photos.
I think you are quite right, I will submit the record and take the knock, it’s the right thing to do.
A mega rare plover has been found, Pacific I think, seen at Salobrar yesterday. Despite me being there much of the day, it eluded my attention.
I will give more details when I get them.
Mike

Good to see you this evening Mike, nice to seawatch from your favoured spot, just down the coast from my favoured spot at Porto Colom! The sea was fairly quiet as you say, with just a handful of Balearic and Scopoli's Shearwaters passing, though the Roller on route was well worth it from my point of view! My first in Mallorca, after scanning many power-lines from a moving vehicle!

From this morning at Salobrar de Campos, Little Tern, 3 Gull-billed Terns and 2 Slender-billed Gulls were the highlights, while 10 Little Stints, 2 Curlew Sandpipers, Ruff, 3 Greenshank, 7 Eleonora's Falcons, 2 Grey Herons north and juvenile Yellow Wagtails throughout were great in addition.

Attachments

• 1C0A1345_edit.jpg
    1C0A1345_edit.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 1C0A1303_edit.JPG
    1C0A1303_edit.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1C0A1217_edit.jpg
    1C0A1217_edit.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1C0A1106_edit.jpg
    1C0A1106_edit.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 68
Cracking photos Jason.
Salobrar has been pretty good recently and I really wish there was more coverage as I still feel we are missing some great birds.
A couple of hides wouldn’t go amiss either.
Mike

I was evicted from the bedroom at 4.30am for an unacceptable amount of fidgeting. I told my wife I had indigestion but she said, “it’s that bird, isn’t it?”
It was. Knowing a Roller was only ten minutes away, I had to go.
I was on site before six but it didn’t show in the two hours I spent there.
After a coffee and a pie I was revived and so I had another go, this time with success.
Few birds are as striking as the European Roller, it’s a real beauty.
I just hope nothing else turns up, I need some sleep.
Mike

Attachments

• C555D127-2614-4B7E-B7B8-C21E0642B322.jpg
    C555D127-2614-4B7E-B7B8-C21E0642B322.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back