• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distribution of nominate subspecies of Little Grebe (1 Viewer)

Could anyone help me with distribution of Tachybaptus ruficollis ruficollis. HBW vol.I (page 189) - says - Europe E to Urals, but on the distribution map there is no Little Grebe range even in Baltic states. So, I think, this should be mistake, because Little Grebe is quite common bird here in Latvia in suitable habitat. I would like to ask someone to check other sources, like Grebes of the World or others.

FF,
This might help. Even HBW has some screw-ups occasionally. http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/BirdsInEuropeII/BiE2004Sp3628.pdf

EDIT: The only thing I am not sure about on the diagram is if it is faithfully depicting the distribution of only the nominate as it is shown in the Caucasus, or if also including a partial range of race capensis. In fact, I seem to have conflicting information from different sources on the relative ranges of ruficollis ruficollis - Howard & Moore has this race ranging in N Caucasus, while both the Clements and HBW have the race not ranging there at all - they both have race capensis ranging there. I tend to believe that the Howard & Moore may be in error here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back