• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excess Nyger seed. (1 Viewer)

hollis_f

In a fit of stupidity I ordered 25kg of niger seed (hey, it was cheap). However, at the current rate it'll take about 10 years for the Goldfinches to eat it all and I suspect it may go mouldy before then (although it's stored in a big plastic dustbin).

Anybody got any ideas what I could do with it? I've tried putting some out around the garden and the Pheasants and a Collared Dove seemed interested - but I don't think they're keen enough to make significant inroads.

Wait till winter and see if you get any common redpolls, a flock of them can go through nijer pretty fast, especially if all of them have a space to eat.

I bought a 20lb bag because I was sick of buying 10lb bags when my birds were eating about a lb a day. Of course two days after I did this, the Siskins responsible for most of the consumption decided to finally migrate.

I was able to put the leftovers in my freezer (which I hope works), while leaving enough out to refill what the Goldfinches eat.

I would like to mention that advice for US Nyjer is going to be different then elsewhere. US Nyjer is intensively heat-treated prior to import, this means it dries out and/or gets "stale" quickly under storage, but it'll never mold. I imagine Nyjer that is not heat-treated would indeed mold, especially if not kept in a dry place.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back