• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Other photo of "ceramic" bird (1 Viewer)

I have already stated that when I first saw an Evenig Grosbeak I thought it was plastic. Plastic is a modern alternative to ceramics, thus - sometimes the real bird does not look 'real'.

That I can't find a photographic example that would satisfy you does not mean you must be right.

Try searching for an erythristic Badger meles meles.

Andy.

I've been away on a short vacation and unable to access this discussion. It has a life of its own, I see.

It was Thanksgiving for Canadians. I went home to Melfort Saskatchewan for a high school reunion (35 years!). I was surprised and delighted to find thousands of snow geese, a bird I don't recall seeing in Saskatchewan before.

When the two pictures are side by side they do look like different birds. It seems like the bird might be one for the X-files. I will try to find out more about where my colleague's mother lives. I'll have to look up the word "erythristic", unless someone can define it simply for me.

I'm really relieved to know that it wasn't just my ignorance of an uncommon bird that prevented me from identifying it. Since I sent out an all users email at work this spring to get people to spend a moment or two listening to the mockingbird that nests on the site, people have mistaken me for a bird expert! This one had me stumped though. Thanks for your help.

Well, I would go for canary (with some cucullatus-genes, as thats how breeders got red color into canary); darker and lighter areas dont worry me particularly in this.

Joern

I hate to run this thread into the ground, but I am still curious about it. Isn't the bill 'way too big for a canary, Joern? And which cucullatus-- Phoceus? Coryphospingus? I haven't got pictures of these guys.

(Wish we could get the first picture into the same thread head.)

Jusy posted a suggestion on this one, on another board!

Ah! well-a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung.

canary

I´d still go for escaped canary , something in between those pics I took from the net. Here´s the first:

Attachments

• fairman02.jpg
    fairman02.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 102
especially the left pic of the mystery bird reminds me very much of some red canary hybrids I have seen; I did not find a very similar one on the net but some going slightly in that direction and illustrating the variety in these domestics

on the size of the bird I would agree with Michael, with the Thuja twigs behind it cant be a big bird, should be canary -sized

shape of bill in the second pic is odd, but maybe its really holding a seed in its back (allthough I cant see that clearly)

therefore, I ´d say escaped canary

Joern

sorry to show caged birds here, dont like that very much either

HI Charles,

Did not see your question at first; I meant the red siskin (Spinus cucullatus), which is said to give mostly fertile hybrids with canaries and was once used to get bright red canaries

Jörn

Hi Andy,

Iwould not rule out canary, because the birds structure isnt really clear to me from these pics.
Where Michael has added them together I think, the left pic with the bird facing to the right is extremely canary like and the red-orange tone is as the typical colour of a red canary.

From the other photo alone, Iwould not be that convinced it is canary. But I think the bill looking so big on that might be an artefact of the picture.
On the other hand the bill size of a canary hybrid can vary greatly , depending on what you hybridized it with

We´ll perhaps will never know what it was

Joern

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back