• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lyme Regis Birding - or an even quieter Backwater (1 Viewer)

After counting over 40 Black-headed gulls along Monmouth beach I was very surprised to see another 60+ along the shore towards the landslip. Otherwise the usual collection of Pied Wagtails and Rock Pipits catching flies on the seaweed. There was a wader on the rocks to the far east of Lyme, but it was too distant to see what it was - not even sure whether it's bill was straight or curved. Hope it will be nearer tomorrow!

1 another distant image of the Mediterranean gull
2 Rock Pipit with meal for two.

Attachments

• M5_NS3_21022.jpg
    M5_NS3_21022.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 82
  • M8_E_July18_08005.jpg
    M8_E_July18_08005.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 92
First time I have seen a Dipper on the Lim for some time - today it was just below Post Bridge, and flew downstream when it saw me.

Again plenty of gulls around. A raft of 40+ juvenile only Herring gulls in front of the museum and plenty of Black-headed gulls on the rock ledges below the Church. Among them was a gorgeous Mediterranean gull - easy to see through bins but very difficult to find in the VF of my S3. Several images were centred on rocks rather than the gull!

The juvenile Guillemot was swimming about 60m offshore at the mouth of the Lim.

On the Cobb I caught a Cormorant fighting a Pipe fish??? It took quite a while to get it all down.

Attachments

• M9_E_NS3_23016.jpg
    M9_E_NS3_23016.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 109
  • M9_E_NS3_23002.jpg
    M9_E_NS3_23002.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 95
  • M9_E_NS3_23005.jpg
    M9_E_NS3_23005.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 97
  • M9_E_NS3_23006.jpg
    M9_E_NS3_23006.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 105
50+ Black-headed gulls in the sea off Monmouth beach. Birds catching flies in the seaweed included 12+ House Martins, 6 Rock Pipits, several Pied Wagtails and a small flock of Sparrows. A new arrival at Lyme was a lone male Dunlin.

The biggest surprise of all was seeing a Kingfisher flying up the Lim. It flew upstream over the leatway and returned a few minutes later, flying down the river to the Mill. I was unable to locate it at rest!

A Dipper was also on the Lim at Jericho.

Attachments

• M11_Dunlin3.jpg
    M11_Dunlin3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 82
  • M11_Dunlin1.jpg
    M11_Dunlin1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 88
A Ringed Plover joined the Dunlin on Monmouth beach today, with the usual collection of Rock Pipits and Pied Wagtails. The one in the image has a red ring on its leg - I am sure it was on the Cobb last year.

Attachments

• M12_R_PLOVER.jpg
    M12_R_PLOVER.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 91
  • M12_Pied_Wagtail_Red_Ring.jpg
    M12_Pied_Wagtail_Red_Ring.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 83
A day off today walking from West Bay back to Lyme along the coast path. Plenty of Goldfinches on the thistles, Linnets on the Gorse, a Stonechat, Yellowhammer in the scrub and a Buzzard circling overhead.

While lunching on the beach near St Gabriel's - a juvenile Guillemot swam past. As we walked to Charmouth it was swimming about 40ft offshore - just about keeping up with us (we were stopping frequently). When we left the beach it was still swimming west towards Lyme. Could this be the same bird I saw for two consecutive days off Lyme?

Another curious occurrence. While descending on the coast path to St Gabriel's a badger came out of some scrub and ran straight for us. We thought we were about to be attacked - so raised our walking poles. It got to within 6ft before 'seeing' us - then turning and running back into the scrub! This was at 11:30am.

Attachments

• M13_NS3_25043.jpg
    M13_NS3_25043.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 83
Only newcomers at lyme were 19 Canada Geese - on the rocks to the east of the town.

There is a sad end to the juvenile Guillemot - its body was floating near the harbour this afternoon. Was he too young to look after himself? I never saw it flying, could this have been the problem?

Attachments

• M15_July28_08003.jpg
    M15_July28_08003.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 88
  • M15_July28_EOS005.jpg
    M15_July28_EOS005.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 105
There is a sad end to the juvenile Guillemot - its body was floating near the harbour this afternoon. Was he too young to look after himself? I never saw it flying, could this have been the problem?

Looks like the guillemot might have got oil on its feathers?

A few 'new' birds in Lyme today. Two Ringed Plovers, 4 Dunlins and a summer plumage Turnstone were on the shorelines of Monmouth beach and the small beach behind Victoria pier. Lots of juvenile Pied Wagtails and Rock Pipits being fed on the flies on the seaweed. Juvenile Black-headed Gulls were sitting in the seaweed picking the flies out of the air as they were blown past.

A juvenile Grey Wagtail on the Lim.

Two of the Dunlins flying along the shore.

Attachments

• M2_NEOS_35009.jpg
    M2_NEOS_35009.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 94
Good to here the waders are coming back in Roger. Might be time to get back down there with the camera, if it's as good as last autumn I'll be happy.

Bob - don't be too hasty to visit Lyme. Today, the only birds in the Cobb area were 6 Crows, a couple of Sparrows and a lone Rock Pipit! Even the previously numerous Black-headed Gulls were reduced to just 2. I think the Turnstone has continued west - one has now been seen in the Backwater Birding area!

Probably not worth visiting until after Carnival week - there were lots of people on the pier early this morning for the free boat rides for children; not good for birds!

Another poor birding day in Lyme. Rather more Rock Pipits on Monmouth beach and the half-dozen Black-headed Gulls still gorging themselves on the flies. Nothing else apart from a GBB gull.

Image 1 - plenty of flies around
2 - going for the kill

Attachments

• M3_019_BHG.jpg
    M3_019_BHG.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 70
  • M3_017_BHG.jpg
    M3_017_BHG.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 82
Not easy to report on the local patch when you have visitors. You have to suggest visits to locations that might give a few minutes bird-watching.

Only made Forde Abbey on sunday - and there were no unusual birds on their ponds - and a few chickens wandering around on the lawns. I was able to watch a swallow feeding its young in the porch of the house.

Suggested Topsham today so had a quick glimpse of the river and a few minutes at the Bowling Green hide. Plenty of Canada geese, Black-tailed Godwits, Curlews and 8 Little Egrets plus a Lapwing and Tufted duck in front of the hide, Oystercatchers and Redshanks from the observation platform. Probably more to be seen but time was limited and it had started to rain ....

Better late than never, I saw my first Jersey Tiger moth last night on a Budlier down Cobb road. Not easy to focus on it in the dark!

Attachments

• M5_NS3_27054.jpg
    M5_NS3_27054.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 74
  • M5_NEOS_36024.jpg
    M5_NEOS_36024.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 80
Like buses you wait for ages and they arrive all together; another Jersey Tiger, this time in our garden this morning.

I also got down to Monmouth beach where, together with the resident 6 Black Crows and Rock Pipits were 2 summer plumage Turnstones. It was very windy on the beach with quite large waves on the sea - and just offshore was another Guillemot. I hope this one fares better than the last.

Attachments

• M6_Jersey_Tiger1.jpg
    M6_Jersey_Tiger1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 71
  • M6_Jersey_Tiger2.jpg
    M6_Jersey_Tiger2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 74
  • M6_Turnstone.jpg
    M6_Turnstone.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 82
  • M6_Guillemot.jpg
    M6_Guillemot.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 82
Down to the Cobb very early this morning - before the influx of dog-walkers. Two stunning male Turnstones right on the water's edge on Monmouth beach, even getting caught under the waves! Also three Dunlins - 2 of which flew off towards the Cobb. Several Rock Pipits also on the seaweed.

Attachments

• M8_Turnstone3.jpg
    M8_Turnstone3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 82
  • M8_Turnstone_shower.jpg
    M8_Turnstone_shower.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 83
  • M8_Dunlin1.jpg
    M8_Dunlin1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 72
  • M8_Rock_Pipit.jpg
    M8_Rock_Pipit.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 88
Early Yesterday I drove into Lyme Regis to see what was around.

Didn't see the turnsotne or dunlin, Roger. I just missed one wader flying from the Cobb eastwards. Don't think I've ever seen so many Pied Wagtails but it was obviously been a good year for breeding judging by the immatures flitting about and bobbing their tails.

A pair of grey wags on the scrub above the bay to the east side of Long Entry (Is that Monmouth Beach) and a pair of wags just above the water mill. Looking for the dipper(s) but no luck but near where I saw the grey wags I did look down on a bird that might have been, flew away then surprised me by flying back. but viewing was limited.

That scrub just mentioned by the way was alive with birds and there were a pair of warblers flitting about, probably Chiff Chaffs or Willow Warblers but had a greenish hue at times but that may have just been the sunlight

back by the sea several great black backed gulls and (I think) a med among the herring gulls.

Rock pipits also all over the place and a few cormorants flying East to West out at sea.

Steve

Very rough on Monmouth beach today with gale force winds and a high tide sending spray over the Cobb. I ventured out onto the beach but didn't see any birds on the shore-line!

There were plenty of Pied Wagtails on the seaweed high up on the beach and quite a few Rock Pipits. There was also a Wagtail near the boat park, but I am unsure what it was - I think it might be a juvenile Grey Wagtail??? (see image 1 & 5). Could someone help with its identity please.

I would also like help with my second image. A striking bird in the calm of the harbour - looking as if it had had a tiring night. I think it is a juvenile Kittiwake???
Three GBB gulls in the sea off Cobb Gate beach and another Kittiwake??? with gulls in the sea to the E of Lyme. Here a Pied Wagtail was catching flies from the sea wall rather than off the seaweed.

Attachments

• M11_E450_2008.jpg
    M11_E450_2008.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 81
  • M11_E450_2022.jpg
    M11_E450_2022.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 91
  • M11_E450_2039.jpg
    M11_E450_2039.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 80
  • M11_E450_2036.jpg
    M11_E450_2036.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 78
  • M11_E_E450_2009.jpg
    M11_E_E450_2009.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 78
Hi Roger,

Great to see this thread up and running, but I hope this doesn't mean there will be less of your stunning photos taken on our side of the boarder!

I think the cormorant in the previous photo was tackling an eel, not a pipe fish. Snake pipe fish are roughly this size, but I would have expected their stony complexion and angular body to show up more prominently in the photo, this one looks smooth and shiny so perhaps an immature conger or even a common eel?

James

Thanks Steve for correcting me on the juvenile Pied Wagtail. I didn't really expect to see a Grey Wagtail on the beach but it didn't quite look like a Pied.

Also thanks to James for identifying my Cormorant's meal. I did have second thoughts on this and came up with Garfish - as this was the first fish I ever caught off W Bexington!

Still a strong breeze along the coast this morning and a only a Pied Wagtail and Black-headed Gulls on Monmouth beach. There were about 50 of the latter taking breakfast on the seaweed. I don't think I have ever seen so many flies being blown along the beach. The gulls were loving it - just standing and opening their mouths.

Attachments

• M12_450_3006.jpg
    M12_450_3006.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 81
  • M12_450_3010.jpg
    M12_450_3010.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 70
  • M12_450_3023.jpg
    M12_450_3023.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back