• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advise for scope.. (1 Viewer)

png

Hi, all pro. I am new in digiscoping, was wonder which scope work best with olympus E-30 model ? 1) Kowa TSN 883, kowa TSN 663 or Bushnell elite 80 ED. willing to spend above US$ 1,500. Any advise. Thanks

I couldn't tell you but I do know that some cameras are not good fits for some scopes. It really depends on the adapter you will be using. Are you going to take a shot free-hand from the eyepiece, are you going to make you own adapter, go with a manufacturers or? I know I tried free-hand, and making my own first just to see how things were. That works but not as smooth as I wanted before I purchased the DCB adapter meant for my swaro scope. All up to you. The Elite will be your cheapest...the Kowa 883 will be most expensive. You might throw in the Swaro brand too in the 80mm models, for they are excellent scopes.

From advice I have had and from what I have experienced digiscoping, it is best to have a 80mm or in that range. A scope+camera will take down the light considerably and the larger scope you have the more light. If you are going to spend the money and it sounds like you are willing, spend it on not only the best quality but also the best features and 80mm is required I feel for adequate digiscoping. Where are you from? Do you have plenty of light?

PNG, I did a little research for you. I went to the gallery and plugged in olympus E-30 and went through several pages. I came up with 2 users, both used a variety of zoom lens but a Collins recently has some great images with the Sigma Bigma (didn't say which camera lens he used). Looks like a whale of a camera, probably best to take it to a scope shop and try its fit. Good luck, Joe

I couldn't tell you but I do know that some cameras are not good fits for some scopes. It really depends on the adapter you will be using. Are you going to take a shot free-hand from the eyepiece, are you going to make you own adapter, go with a manufacturers or? I know I tried free-hand, and making my own first just to see how things were. That works but not as smooth as I wanted before I purchased the DCB adapter meant for my swaro scope. All up to you. The Elite will be your cheapest...the Kowa 883 will be most expensive. You might throw in the Swaro brand too in the 80mm models, for they are excellent scopes.

From advice I have had and from what I have experienced digiscoping, it is best to have a 80mm or in that range. A scope+camera will take down the light considerably and the larger scope you have the more light. If you are going to spend the money and it sounds like you are willing, spend it on not only the best quality but also the best features and 80mm is required I feel for adequate digiscoping. Where are you from? Do you have plenty of light?

Thanks Imans, I am from Malaysia its lots of sunshine over here. Ok, I contacted the shop owner he recommand me the kowa TSN 774 with TSN - PZ adapter and T ring for olympus. will this combination work for E-30 olympus. Wonder the T-ring is it to fix a T2 adapter to 4/3 mount.

PNG, I did a little research for you. I went to the gallery and plugged in olympus E-30 and went through several pages. I came up with 2 users, both used a variety of zoom lens but a Collins recently has some great images with the Sigma Bigma (didn't say which camera lens he used). Looks like a whale of a camera, probably best to take it to a scope shop and try its fit. Good luck, Joe

Thanks Josef, some of those lens are great, but is weight heavy to carry around with a tripod. Therefore i am looking at digiscoping which is much less in weight. More over there some good scope that give rally sharp image and good color tone.

Thanks Imans, I am from Malaysia its lots of sunshine over here. Ok, I contacted the shop owner he recommand me the kowa TSN 774 with TSN - PZ adapter and T ring for olympus. will this combination work for E-30 olympus. Wonder the T-ring is it to fix a T2 adapter to 4/3 mount.

If you can afford it, I strongly recommend the larger 884. Its extra light gathering will make some difference in the shutter speeds you will get. But the 774 will still make for a very light/small lens kit.

Using the scope as a "cheap" supertelephoto lens for a 4/3 dslr can produce some nice results. Just know that you cannot use the scope visually when using the PZ adapter.

cheers,
Rick

Thanks RJM for your info, will test out the kowa with my E 30 soon. :t:

If you can afford it, I strongly recommend the larger 884. Its extra light gathering will make some difference in the shutter speeds you will get. But the 774 will still make for a very light/small lens kit.

Using the scope as a "cheap" supertelephoto lens for a 4/3 dslr can produce some nice results. Just know that you cannot use the scope visually when using the PZ adapter.

cheers,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back