• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings From Cool, but not frosty, Canada (1 Viewer)

Tammie said:
Oh oh! He's on to us! ;)
What lovely photos you're posting. What kind of bird is that?

Hiya Tammie

The one with the red legs and black collar is a Ross's Gull.
The other one is a Long-tailed Jaeger.

Both rarely seen species from the high arctic.

Cheerio

Great pics, Tony! Please consider posting them to the Gallery where they'll get a much wider audience rather than staying buried here in the discussion threads. Gorgeous birds! Look forward to seeing more of your work. :t:

P.S. It's -13 C. already. That's getting just a bit too frosty for this time of year. Egads, what'll it be in February at this rate? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Last edited:
Merlin50 said:
Ah ha!!!

So, I see how this works...

First, you lure them in with warm fuzzy welcoming words.
Then, you keep them here with continued fuzzies.
Then your prey starts realizing they spend more time here than in the field.

Next, they will trade in their trinovids for ergonomic keypads.
And, their daily postings surpass their garden list.

You know its over when they start "twitching" in response to a new string in their favourite forum.

Hmmmmmmm...what have I gotten into?

Oh well...I can always tease them with another pic:

Cheerio

You got it! Most of us used to be productive members of society before we found BF.

Let me me know if you find the Ross's Gull. I might have to find an excuse to go to Ottawa. ;)

Katy Penland said:
P.S. It's -13 C. already. That's getting just a bit too frosty for this time of year. Egads, what'll it be in February at this rate? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Katy, I know what you mean. I'm seeing temperatures in the high -20's C in Manitoba that are apparently heading this way soon. I'm definitely NOT ready for that! Makes me nervous to think of what mid-winter will bring.
We've already hit almost -20C .............. it's too soon!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek!:

P.S. Katy, I'm still having a hard time reconciling winter weather and temperatures with Arizona! It's like a contradiction! ;)

Tammie said:
P.S. Katy, I'm still having a hard time reconciling winter weather and temperatures with Arizona! It's like a contradiction! ;)
LOL, I know, believe me. It cracks me up when I correspond with people who casually mention how lucky I am to live in such a nice warm state in the wintertime, and while I'm reading I've got my Ugg boots on and my high-neck fleece zipped up to my eyeballs! When we went "to the Valley" (of the Sun, which is what the locals call Phoenix), where it was a pleasant 19-21 C. for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I had to dig out some summer clothes and my Birkenstocks. Although truth be told, I wear my Birkies year-round, even in the snow, if I'm not outside too long (and the snow not too deep). ;)

Katy Penland said:
It's -13 C. already. That's getting just a bit too frosty for this time of year. Egads, what'll it be in February at this rate? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Hey Katy...I'll trade any week here for a week in February down there.
"Hmmmmmm...lets see...someone said there was a Black Rosy Finch coming to a feeder just across the state line?"

And, once I get all these new technical challenges under control, I'll start posting to other sites, including Gallery and Bird ID (I'm making the dreaded transition from PC to Mac...groan).

Hey Karwin...Where did the Sterco get you?
And, don't worry...some day a Rhodo will find you for its list.
After all, its a northerner like you.

Hey Dan...You're just as likely to find a Ross's in PEI as I am at finding one here...good luck (we both need it).

Now...I must abandon this site and get to work so I can pay the server its monthly ransom.

Cheerio

Merlin50 said:
Hey Karwin...Where did the Sterco get you?
My first longicaudus: 14 years ago I took a roadtrip with a twitcher friend to Lapland. At one point, we passed the border to Norway, and right after that spotted Stercorarius longicaudus in the valley. After one kilometer we found Finnish customs house, and began wondering if the bird was now on our Norwegian or Finnish lists. We strolled into the house, asking the officials "Where are we?" ;) They looked not-happy with us tourists, who interfered their nap. It was a Norwegian tick.

Dear Merlin:

Thank you for these wonderful pictures!

By the way, it got quite cold on Tilos today since temperatures dropped down to 14-20 C and it is raining!!! Finally, I do not have to water my garden anymore!

Warmest regards,

Konstantinos said:
By the way, it got quite cold on Tilos today since temperatures dropped down to 14-20 C and it is raining!!!

It sounds nice and toasty on Tilos. Even if it's raining.
Right now, I'm looking at my car covered in a thick blanket of fluffy white snow.

At least I don't have to water my garden for several months.

I was thinking of going out birding. Although I'm hoping for a Gyrfalcon to fly by, I might end up with just a bunch of Canada Geese and Mallards.

Hmmmmm...maybe I'll just post a bunch of message here at the Forum.

Cheerio

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back