• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose, Montrose Basin, Scotland 29/8/15 (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
Caught these 3 geese just after they passed overhead at Montrose Basin today. Although there were rather a lot of Greylags and Canada Geese in the basin, these 3 rather surprisingly appeared to be a pair of Pink Footed Geese and a (possibly Taiga) Bean Goose.

Although it is probably still a bit early for returning winter birds, there are always a few usually injured Pinkies stay for the summer, and there has been a Bean Goose around in the Angus area in previous years.

Any comments on the middle bird of the 3? The beak certainly looks too small and the wrong shape for Greylag (sometimes a few around with orange legs), and the underwing certainly appears to be all dark.

Attachments

• Bean goose resized.jpg
    Bean goose resized.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 65
  • bean goose.jpg
    bean goose.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 54
I think all 3 birds are Greylags (all juvs?). The legs of the middle bird appear rather pinkish orange on my screen, the upper wing appears very light greyish too, and the underwing of at least the left hand bird seems to show a clear contrast. Some more pictures might help though.

Sincerely,

Lützen

Unfortunately I only managed to grab this single photo. Given the numbers of Greylags and Canada Geese at the basin just now, your suggestion may be the most likely explanation. I have taken photos of Pink Footed Geese many times where there does appear to be contrast on the underwing. I think I will just err on the side of caution and forget I even saw these three birds (in practice just the same as taking them to be Greylags). Thanks for your answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back