• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 10x50 fieldpro (1 Viewer)

bockos

Hi, is there someone who has the new 10x50 fieldpro? What ared the differences in optical performance, clarity and contrast between the swarovision fieldpro 10x50 and the previous model swarovision 10x50? Is there someone who has both binos and make a comparison? Thanks!

Have not compared the 10x50 but I did compare my 8x32 to the 8x32 FP. I found absolutely no optical differences between the two.

Hi, is there someone who has the new 10x50 fieldpro? What ared the differences in optical performance, clarity and contrast between the swarovision fieldpro 10x50 and the previous model swarovision 10x50? Is there someone who has both binos and make a comparison? Thanks!
I have the 10X50 SV and did a good comparison to the FP version. There were no optical differences. I believe Swaro confirms this.

After sending in my 2012 EL 10X50 SV to SONA for a focuser stickion issue, the R&R bino came back with a Superb focuser performance that is extremely smooth, very even resistance and absolutely no slop in direction changes! I have been very impressed over the past 2 years with the quality and evenness of the new EL SV Field Pro focusers, all in their 8X32, 8.5X42 and 10X50 EL SV's that I've tried (in field and in store). However, I have to state up front...I've Never felt or experienced a full size binocular (low-mid-high end) that has a better focuser than my re-worked 10X50. It still is a "little" slow (CF to infinity=2 turns), but the delicacy and precision is as good as I've ever encountered and a "step-up" from any of the FP models I've used! The ease and consistency of hitting a perfect focus the first time has gone way up...LOVE IT!

I was so inquisitive as to what was changed, called SONA and was told it is the EXACT same focuser, but with some small part changes and proper lubrication amount\type added!! In all, I received these back in Perfect Condition about 5 weeks after shipment for R&R. If needed, I'd highly recommend to give SONA an opportunity to also make your 2nd gen. EL perfect!

With my refirbed 10X50 SV in hand, I went to Cabelas to compare "Optics" with an on the shelf\in the box 2017 10X50 SV FP. As before, I could discern no real differences, but possibly a "very slightly darker image" in the latest FP production model (could have just been my imagination). For all intents and purposes, their optical prowess are Equal!

The biggest comparative surprise was yes, the focusers. As good as the new FP models are (CW to CCW equality, No slop, Smoothness w\just-right resistance), my 5 yr. old EL's, for ME, are Now a major step up in performance and accuracy that I easily prefer over the FP focuser! :king: :t:

Ted

Last edited:
I had my 10x42 Swarovision sent in twice because of an unpleasant sticky focuswheel
Although it improved , it is nog as smooth as my leica NV!!

I also sent my 10x50 SV in twice to SONA for a sticky focus wheel. Both times after about 6 months the stickiness returned! I think SONA greases it and as soon as the grease wears out the stickiness returns. I don't buy the small part changes. If Swarovski could correct their focusers with some small parts then why wouldn't they have done it as a production change. Big reason I sold my 10x50 SV. My Canon 10x42 IS-L had a smooth focuser when I bought it and it still does.

Last edited:
I also sent my 10x50 SV in twice to SONA for a sticky focus wheel. Both times after about 6 months the stickiness returned! I think SONA greases it and as soon as the grease wears out the stickiness returns. I don't buy the small part changes. If Swarovski could correct their focusers with some small parts then why wouldn't they have done it as a production change. Big reason I sold my 10x50 SV. My Canon 10x42 IS-L had a smooth focuser when I bought it and it still does.

Hi Dennis,

Possibly, those "small part updates" may have been incorporated in the EL FP models, as I've personally found each and every one I've used (to date, about 10 different FP binos) possessing a great quality of focuser performance!

Time will tell if my re-worked EL 10X50 SV will maintain it's new found smoothness and precision! :king:

BTW, my 10X42L also still has a smooth, even focuser...nice! :t:

Ted

Good luck. I hope you are correct! None of the Swarovski's focusers I had compared in smoothness to a Nikon, Zeiss or Canon. I am glad they have worked the bugs out of them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back