• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking after sick feral pigeons (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPCL

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member. One of my favorit birds is the feral pigeon.
Found one in my garden, pirouetting on the spot and generally acting strange, picked it up. It wouldn't eat or drink. This was 6 weeks ago.Been feeding it myself and house her indoors in a huge dog crate, so she can exercise her wings and sit on a perch. I also let her out in the house and she loves to perch on a small log on the window sill.During nice weather put her out in the garden, in another large cage, were she can witness her tribe's daily feeding frenzy.
Anyway,two days ago found yet another lost soul in the street and dutifully brought her back home. Same story,must feed her myself. Dummy thought maybe could house them both in the same large cage. BAD IDEA!!--the resident bird went immediately on the attack.Had to remove the newcomer. Does that mean that both pigeons are MALES,and will never get on?? My aim is to release them of course, but at the moment they DO NOT EAT on their own,and can not fly properly.Anyone came across this before???

Hello FPCL and welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff.

Firstly, this site does not advocate the caging of any wild bird so a google search might come up with some alternative sites.

Secondly and most important, in light of you finding 2 sick birds in such a short span of time, I would suspect either poisoning or some sort of disease.

KCFoggin said:
Hello FPCL and welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff.

Firstly, this site does not advocate the caging of any wild bird so a google search might come up with some alternative sites.

Secondly and most important, in light of you finding 2 sick birds in such a short span of time, I would suspect either poisoning or some sort of disease.
Hello KC,Thanx for your reply.I'm afraid you jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding "caging". Not only am I against the caging of wild birds but personally I could not abide a bird caged permanently as pet, as I believe their wings were given them for a reason other than sitting in a cage for the pleasure of humans.But you tell me please how am I supposed to keep a bird which is UNABLE TO FLY. In a cardboard box maybe? Or maybe I should just let it die,after all it's only a feral pigeon,a dime a dozen,right?????..............

FPCL said:
Hello KC,Thanx for your reply.I'm afraid you jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding "caging". Not only am I against the caging of wild birds but personally I could not abide a bird caged permanently as pet, as I believe their wings were given them for a reason other than sitting in a cage for the pleasure of humans.But you tell me please how am I supposed to keep a bird which is UNABLE TO FLY. In a cardboard box maybe? Or maybe I should just let it die,after all it's only a feral pigeon,a dime a dozen,right?????..............
No, you've done an equal job of misunderstanding me as well ;)

Can you get both of the birds to a vet/rehabber? Again, the fact that you found two sick birds in a short period of time tells me something is wrong. I know there is not a great deal of affection for feral pigeons but as you said, they have wings and should be flying and they are only doing what nature intended them to.

im my experience you'd be lucky to find a vet or rehabber interested in tending to a Feral Pigeon , however you may be luckier

London Birder said:
im my experience you'd be lucky to find a vet or rehabber interested in tending to a Feral Pigeon , however you may be luckier
Hello London Birder,you're right Feral Pigeons don't even get a look in,especially as I think my two have a form of paramyxovirus.
I hoped I could house them in the same large cage so they become buddies (just joking),keep company to each other,as pigeons are a gregarious lot. But hey what a surprise, that first pigeon of mine went on the attack .
Now I shall have to house them separately,that's why I asked if someone, a rehaber maybe, came across a similar situation, with two males(?) disliking each other,and did they ever end up sharing the same cage?
From my enquiries I learned that recovery could take months, and with those two looking daggers at each other.... London is a big place, there must be a charity that looks after pigeons, maybe they could help with advice.

London Birder said:
not sure if this will help ...

http://hompages.nildram.co.uk/~picas/pigrec/

ok, not sure why that's not working ...try googling London Pigeon Care/Recovery ...
many thanx London Birder, now the winged pair have been fed watered and put to bed in their respective cages, I can start googling.

Found site at first go,unfortunately they cannot be contacted by email, they do not answer the phone (tried earlier ths evening), so I'll write.
Cheers.

Last edited:
FPCL said:
many thanx London Birder, now the winged pair have been fed watered and put to bed in their respective cages, I can start googling.

Found site at first go,unfortunately they cannot be contacted by email, they do not answer the phone (tried earlier ths evening), so I'll write.
Cheers.

very welcome

London Birder said:

sorry - am I missing the point? Why would you want to try and rehabilitate a feral pigeon??
James

Ranger James said:
sorry - am I missing the point? Why would you want to try and rehabilitate a feral pigeon??
James
Hello James, thanks for asking. Tell me,how long is a piece of string?
Take an eagle and take a feral pigeon, when either of them is struck down by disease, and they stand there hunched up, feathers staring,hugry & cold and awaiting a pitiful death, eagle doesn't know he is king and pigeon doesn't know he is common.
They only know Fear.
Have you ever seen a bleeding pigeon? I have. Eyes full of terror and the blood runs hot and red just like yours or mine, or the grandest eagle's.

You alone can decide whether you are missing the point or not.

FPCL said:
Take an eagle and take a feral pigeon, when either of them is struck down by disease, and they stand there hunched up, feathers staring,hugry & cold and awaiting a pitiful death, eagle doesn't know he is king and pigeon doesn't know he is common.
They only know Fear.
Have you ever seen a bleeding pigeon? I have. Eyes full of terror and the blood runs hot and red just like yours or mine, or the grandest eagle's.

Good point, well made.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Feral Pigeon

Wild birds should not be caged. If you suspect poisoning then try giving the bird a charcoal drink which will absorb some of the poison and then take it to an appropriate sanctuary or vet where they have the skill. Beware some organisations may be too ready to put the bird down. I suggest you contact your local county birding group and get advice as to where to take the bird.

Finally handle sick birds with great care use gloves and resist the urge to keep checking on them since this stresses them out and delays recovery. Without wishing to be alarmist be aware that there is a bird flue scare...think about it!

FPCL said:
They only know Fear.

nicely put

d hood said:
hi

try www.pigeons.com (for feral/wild pigeons as well as domestics)

cheers

duncan
Duncan what a site! Some precious info. Plus, lots of like-minded bods falling over themselves with enthusiasm for these lovely birds. Carl's account of his Lucky, and how she now will not leave his side is just incredible, lucky man!

a.dancy said:
Wild birds should not be caged. If you suspect poisoning then try giving the bird a charcoal drink which will absorb some of the poison and then take it to an appropriate sanctuary or vet where they have the skill. Beware some organisations may be too ready to put the bird down. I suggest you contact your local county birding group and get advice as to where to take the bird.

Finally handle sick birds with great care use gloves and resist the urge to keep checking on them since this stresses them out and delays recovery. Without wishing to be alarmist be aware that there is a bird flue scare...think about it!
Hello A,
Thank you for your advice re: poisoning, only I don't believe this is the case with my two lovelies.All the symptoms suggest they succumbed to the flaming paramyxo virus (pirouetting,neck torsion, pecking but not swallowing).

My first now seems a lot better,making valiant attempts at pecking with the odd 1 in 10 grains actually finding its way down the crop! That is a great improvement on how it was initially: nil down the crop, all scattered on the floor. Other distressing symptoms-gone. But then, I had her for two months exactly. The newcomer still has a way to go....
LondonBirder was spot on when he said I'll be lucky to find professional help.I was Unlucky.All are too keen to put the bird down.
As I explained in an earlier instance, I am only keeping the pigeons in cages (separately,because they fight),until the day will dawn when they will again be able to fly.Free.
I agree with you not to be on top of them all the time. With no.1 she now has the freedom of the house, she goes in and out of her(HUGE) cage, flies onto the windowsill and watches the world go by.Until Pest (that's me) comes along yet again with a syringe full of glob....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back