• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (1 Viewer)

Morden

4 Xbill, 1 distant Marsh Harrier, 4 Dartfords and strangest sight of the day a duck sat in one of the Osprey Nests.

Attachments

• 692xbill.jpg
    692xbill.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 693xbill.jpg
    693xbill.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 695marshh.jpg
    695marshh.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 34
  • duckonosnest.jpg
    duckonosnest.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 66
Morden

1st Cuckoo back on the bog this morning roaming round the pines immediately to the West of the Decoy Cottage. Also a pair of Peregrines circling, 2 GC Grebes on MPL one on nest and a pair of Kingfisher also on MPL

Attachments

• 703perg.jpg
    703perg.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 705perg.jpg
    705perg.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 706cuckoo.jpg
    706cuckoo.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 712cuckoo.jpg
    712cuckoo.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 36
PCWorld Drain

Unfortunately after daily visits to the PC World drain this week I decided this morning "to do" Portland, then a SUBALPINE Warbler is found. I can console myself that it was only seen for about 90 seconds so even if I had been there I would have probably not connected.

Anyway an afternoon visit to the drain on the way back from Portland did produce a good selection of migrants. Plenty of CC/WW, double figures of Blackcap and Whitethroat and my first Garden Warbler of the year. Also the trusty Common Sandpiper was still on the drain.

Attachments

• 724whitet.jpg
    724whitet.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 726blackcap.jpg
    726blackcap.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 34
First osprey for me at Longham Lakes

Exciting patch tick. Been waiting seven years.
Chris

Attachments

• osprey3.jpg
    osprey3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 91
Morden

At least 2 Cuckoos this morning on the bog( 1 flew in front of me with another calling to my right) and the Peregrine still around.

Attachments

• 735cuckoo.jpg
    735cuckoo.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 42
Holes Bay

Still a fair few Warblers at the Holes Bay end of the PCW Drain, with 20+ Blackcap, a few Whitethroat, a couple of Chiffchaff and on the HB side of the road bridge my 1st Sedge Warbler of the year. Common Sandpiper still present.

On the bay there was a single Whimbrel, that like the Avocet that's hanging around, has a seriously gammy leg.

Attachments

• 736sedge.jpg
    736sedge.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 728sedge.jpg
    728sedge.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 31
  • 729whimbrel.jpg
    729whimbrel.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 733whimbrelleg.jpg
    733whimbrelleg.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 734whimbrel.jpg
    734whimbrel.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 43
Morden Bog

Patch tick this morning with a Barn Owl hunting at 07.30am , 400 metres south of the Decoy cottage. A couple of distant record shots attached.

Attachments

• 737barnowl.jpg
    737barnowl.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 738barnowl.jpg
    738barnowl.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 48
Red Kite over my house (SW of Sherborne) twice today, once shortly before midday and then again in mid afternoon. Second time it was not much above house height, but gone too quickly to grab camera! One day.....;)

Am I being a dunce. I visited the PCW drain today. Apart from the Holes Bay outflow part of it and the small amount I can see from the very back of the PCW car park. Is there any further access I am missing. I couldn't see any way of accessing the drain in between these two points. Is this correct? Can you gain access to the other side of the drain directly opposite the PCW car park? If you can where is the best place to do so?

PC World Drain

Hi there. Unfortunately, there is no access to the other side. You have to watch the bank as you say from either behind PC world or along the length of the car park where various gaps in the hedge offer adequate viewing spots.

Am I being a dunce. I visited the PCW drain today. Apart from the Holes Bay outflow part of it and the small amount I can see from the very back of the PCW car park. Is there any further access I am missing. I couldn't see any way of accessing the drain in between these two points. Is this correct? Can you gain access to the other side of the drain directly opposite the PCW car park? If you can where is the best place to do so?

Hi there. Unfortunately, there is no access to the other side. You have to watch the bank as you say from either behind PC world or along the length of the car park where various gaps in the hedge offer adequate viewing spots.

Thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Middlebere

Arrived at hide at 09.30, Osprey had been on pole up until 08.30 when it flew south down the channel, did not return by time I left at 10.30. 1 Spoonbill in channel at first and was then later joined by a 2nd bird. 2 Ringed Plover along the channel. Blackcap and Linnet in good numbers along the lane.

Attachments

• 799linnet.jpg
    799linnet.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 29
Morden Bog

A female Xbill feeding in the pines at the south end of the Decoy pond, and 2 pairs of Dartfords across the heath. Up at Morden Park Lake the GC Grebes have what appears to be 2 eggs on their nest and a pair of Buzzards were circling low above the lake.

Attachments

• 805xbill.jpg
    805xbill.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 810buzz.jpg
    810buzz.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 811grebenest.jpg
    811grebenest.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 37
Middlebere

2 Swift along the lane , at the hide a Marsh Harrier and later a Ringtail, in the channel 1 Spoonbill, 3 Ringed Plover and 2 Whimbrel.

On the walk back a Gropper was reeling in a clump of bushes.

Poor distant record shots of the Harriers attached.

Attachments

• 813marshH.jpg
    813marshH.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 814HenH.jpg
    814HenH.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back