• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fall migration by moonlight (1 Viewer)

Bear83

Hello everyone, curious if anyone else has experienced large night migration of passerines using the moon for observation? Yesterday (9/17) our area in East Central Minnesota saw a line of rain / thunderstorms. Following the storm the bird activity was incredible as a multitude of species fed on insects (warblers, flycatchers, and other passerines). Once things turned dark you could hear a large # of flight calls filling the air. I setup a spotting scope at 30X and started counting birds transecting the moon. At only 55% illumination of the moon, I was getting 15-20 birds per minute. Curious if anyone else has counted birds in a similar fashion and what your results were. In the last year I've started using Birdcast as a supplement to what I experience in the field, and the data bears out the large flight last evening. Neat to experience, have a wonderful Fall migration everyone!

Attachments

• mosaic_201809180210.jpg
    mosaic_201809180210.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 22
I can't remember numbers exactly now as it was quite a few years ago but we only got 2 or 3 birds a minute and thought it was marvelous. This was for transaharian migrants in September leaving the south coast of Portugal. Your 15-20 per min seems to be a very heavy nocturnal migration to me, must have been exciting!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back