• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch 2018 (1 Viewer)

Not sure, parts of it now are like a romantic movie. Chris P. and Michaela S. heading off in a gaz guzzling 1960s pick up to drive through the scenic Autumn fall forests, stopping at the kissing bridge for more "chemistry and character moments".
No longer about the wildlife anymore but more presenter orientated with a few token segments of wildlife video thrown in.

Never see Attenborough doing this - he presented the wildlife and behaviour first and foremost, backed up with the science behind it - all in a humbling manner.

Last edited:
Whilst others will disagree, I found that the UK programme was getting very tired, predictable and, to be honest, somewhat boring. Going to the USA has injected new life into the format. I'd have much preferred a Europe-based edition since the general public are ill-served when it comes to TV programmes on European wildlife. As a result, many are unaware that we have wolves, bears, lynx etc in Europe and spectacles like the mass migration of raptors in Spain. I suspect that PennineBirder is right and the stumbling block is financial but one would have hoped that a joint production with the local (or other) TV companies would provide sufficient off-set to make it viable.

I enjoyed it. Far more interesting than rutting deer which seem to take up 80% of every UK based Autumnwatch. I didn't think the autumn colours were that spectacular - I've seen better in Burnham Beeches! - so Himalaya may be right in saying it was a bit early.

How weird not to want to appreciate the wildlife of New England.

Shame they didn't point out the Northern Flicker during the black bear footage.
was that the bird that looked same or similar size to a nutcracker with a red streak along the back of the head it was quite noticeable not one I can remember before thou I presume there will be a lot of birds like that on here.

Shame they didn't point out the Northern Flicker during the black bear footage.

I thought that too!
Thank you for naming it for me. I am familiar with blue jay, red cardinal etc. But hadn't got a clue with this one.

I did enjoy the programme but felt it didn't need to concentrate on more familiar species to us such as the loons.

Also thought that it was running down the UK Autumn a little. It may not be as showy here but there are some amazing autumnal sights.
The picture from Perthshire near the end of the programme was top notch.

was that the bird that looked same or similar size to a nutcracker with a red streak along the back of the head it was quite noticeable not one I can remember before thou I presume there will be a lot of birds like that on here.

Yes, nice looking birds eh.

I agree that UK Autumn Watch was getting tired, the New England location and content is a refreshing change. Very tempted to sample it next year. Loved the interview with David Sibley and nice to see Chris remind us of our debt to The late great To get Tory Peterson.

I thought that too!
Thank you for naming it for me. I am familiar with blue jay, red cardinal etc. But hadn't got a clue with this one.

I did enjoy the programme but felt it didn't need to concentrate on more familiar species to us such as the loons.

Also thought that it was running down the UK Autumn a little. It may not be as showy here but there are some amazing autumnal sights.
The picture from Perthshire near the end of the programme was top notch.
Loons/Divers they may be familiar with some people I agree but there are always people that won,t be familiar with such birds so in that way it gave such people a chance to see them on Auturm Watch I for one enjoyed the whole program.

The picture from Perthshire near the end of the programme was top notch.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think the USA Autumn colours were at their best. We saw far better and impressive colours two weeks ago in Scotland. Breathtaking!

Enjoyed last night's programme more than the first. Good coverage on woodpeckers, red squirrels, bobcats and the piece with the brilliant artist David Sibley. Just the right amount and level of science as well

Loons/Divers they may be familiar with some people I agree but there are always people that won,t be familiar with such birds so in that way it gave such people a chance to see them on Auturm Watch I for one enjoyed the whole program.

Hi coaltit

Yes I see your point. Just my thinking.
Glad they showed and named a few bird species in last nights programme. Still enjoyng it anyway!

Sandra, totally agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back