• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8x42 WP focussing problem (1 Viewer)

Chhayanat

India
Using Pentax 8x42 WP (first model) since 2000. I now notice that I can get an acceptable focus while turning the focus wheel from distant to close positions but not the other way round. If I overshoot the focus point and return to the focus point from the opposite direction (i.e. the focus wheel travels from the near towards the distant position) I can get an acceptable focus.
Adjusting the right dioptre setting or IPD does not help. I started noticing this after returning from a long journey by air, where the glasses were in their soft case in a hard Samsonite suitcase cushioned among clothes. The suitcase was in the baggage hold.

This particular difficulty is not there with a Nikon 10x42 Premier though I have the usual accommodation problems associated with presbyopia and fast focussing wheel in this glass. The Pentax focussing wheel is much slower and deliberate.

Does the Pentax need collimation or any other adjustment?

Chhayanat

Chhayanat,
A collimation problem would not present itself only in one direction. It would serve no purpose, other than curiosity, to go back and forth with questions and answers trying to narrow the problem down. Something has worked loose inside, and it's going to require service from Pentax. They have a good warranty. Good luck with that.
Ron

Chhayanat,
A collimation problem would not present itself only in one direction. It would serve no purpose, other than curiosity, to go back and forth with questions and answers trying to narrow the problem down. Something has worked loose inside, and it's going to require service from Pentax. They have a good warranty. Good luck with that.
Ron
Thanks. This reply is very useful for the initial note to Pentax.
Chhayanat

I had a somewhat, but not quite the same problem with a pair of 8x32 DCF ED's that I bought used from a shop here in town 2 years ago. I knew about the problem before I bought them and contacted Pentax about their repair policy before my purchase of them.

On the ones I bought the focus would end up being just short of complete focus when turning in the direction of distance focus. I knew that is was probably just an adjustment fix. So I took a chance and bought them- my first Pentax purchase, other than a camera.

Pentax policy ( here in the states) is to just send in the binoculars with a $19.95 ( or close to that figure I think) check and they will analyze them and repair under warranty. Said would be set up in their queue and would be about 4-6 weeks repair time.

3 weeks later I got back the binoculars all fixed and cleaned up, and working perfectly.

Pentax policy ( here in the states) is to just send in the binoculars with a $19.95 ( or close to that figure I think) check and they will analyze them and repair under warranty. Said would be set up in their queue and would be about 4-6 weeks repair time.....
[/QUOTE

I bought the Pentax 8x42WP from Adorama about 2001 during a visit to New York. I no longer have the original proof of purchase, though I faintly recall posting a warranty card to Pentax from Canada where I was living then. I suppose this means the "worry-free warranty" from Pentax no longer applies.

For me time is not an issue as I have waited up to six months for Nikon glasses to return after no-fault warranty repairs in the US. Most of the time it was finding someone to bring the glasses back which took time though on one occasion the manufacturer made a mistake.
Chhayant

Pentax policy ( here in the states) is to just send in the binoculars with a $19.95 ( or close to that figure I think) check and they will analyze them and repair under warranty. Said would be set up in their queue and would be about 4-6 weeks repair time.....
[/QUOTE
I bought the Pentax 8x42WP from Adorama about 2001 during a visit to New York. I no longer have the original proof of purchase, though I faintly recall posting a warranty card to Pentax from Canada where I was living then. I suppose this means the "worry-free warranty" from Pentax no longer applies.
Chhayant

I have just heard from Pentax USA who state that the binocular will be covered under their 'worry-free' warranty if I send it in with either the proof of purchase -which I do not have - or with a note stating that I am the original owner: which I am. This post is for those in a similar position to mine.
Chhayanat

I have just heard from Pentax USA who state that the binocular will be covered under their 'worry-free' warranty if I send it in with either the proof of purchase -which I do not have - or with a note stating that I am the original owner: which I am. This post is for those in a similar position to mine.
Chhayanat

Since writing the above, I have come across the following on the Ricoh Imaging Support website:

The PENTAX "Worry-Free" Warranty is available on all PENTAX Sport Optics products purchased in the United States, on or after March 1, 2006 from an authorized PENTAX Sport Optics dealer. ...... PENTAX will repair or replace it to the original purchaser (even if damaged by fault) for a charge of $19.95, to cover handling and return shipping.

Please package your PENTAX Sport Optics product carefully and ship it (postage pre-paid and insured) to the following address:
PENTAX SERVICE DEPARTMENT
250 North 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226
Telephone: (800) 877-0155
Please ship the following items along with your product: A copy of your dated proof of purchase (sales receipt, charge slip, etc.). This is required for all warranty repairs. ........

Does the aforegoing mean that binoculars purchased before 2006 do not qualify for the worry free warranty any more?
Chhayanat

Chhayanat:

Just to check: Are those roof (straight barrel) or porro (front lenses not
on axis with the back) binoculars? Near as I can tell, that is a roof prism model.
As such it would have sustained some very severe damage to have that problem.

If yout shine a flashlight in and look into the front you might be able to see
either the front lenses or a 'focuser lens' inside moving when you move the focus
wheel. It may show you what's wrong in the way it moves. For porro
binoculars, you can actually tug the eyepieces up and down a little and see if they
move too much, if they 'seesaw'. etc.
I suspect impact damage in either case.

If worse comes to worse, binoculars of similar quality and design can be had
for less cost now. Things have been competitive since then.

Reviving an old thread. The glasses (Pentax 8x42WP) were sent to the Pentax repair centre in Arizona (?) by a friend. Pentax cannot repair the glasses and has offered to replace them if I can produce the proof of purchase. I cannot but I am the original owner and did buy them from Adorama in New York in 2000. Nonetheless, I am stymied.

Now my friend has sent the Pentax glasses together with a Swift Audubon 8.5x44 to Nicolas Crista to await his estimates. Mr. Crista proved surprisingly difficult to contact but apparently it has finally been done.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread. The glasses (Pentax 8x42WP) were sent to the Pentax repair centre in Arizona (?) by a friend. Pentax cannot repair the glasses and has offered to replace them if I can produce the proof of purchase. I cannot but I am the original owner and did buy them from Adorama in New York in 2000. Nonetheless, I am stymied.

Now my friend has sent the Pentax glasses together with a Swift Audubon 8.5x44 to Nicolas Crista to await his estimates. Mr. Crista proved surprisingly difficult to contact but apparently it has finally been done.

Nicolas Crista repaired the glasses at a reasonable charge. Now that I have the glasses with me, I noticed a yellow paper printout from Pentax which says the glasses were repaired under warranty. It must have been a clerical error as they had agreed to replace them if I could produce the proof of purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back