• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crest on Fire!! (1 Viewer)

KenM

Doing my patch circuit this am, certainly a first for me...I've never seen one with such an intense crown before...a real head turner! :eek!:

Attachments

• P2150618.jpeg     Crest on fire 1. for comp..jpeg
    P2150618.jpeg Crest on fire 1. for comp..jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 140
Very vibrant! A great spot.
Thanks Kits...:t:

Spectacular shot! Male Ruby-crowned Kinglets have a similar display when their dander’s up but I’ve never seen one that comes close to your bird’s in intensity and shock value. . ..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/405332251/in/album-72157654707793348

Thanks fugl, for your enthusiastic response most refreshing. I too once only encountered a male Ruby-crowned Kinglet and that too was in Portland,Oregon (my daughter lives there), and such was the intensity (viewed from behind) that I likened it to a car’s rear brake light (that you’re travelling behind in the rain) suddenly “coming on”. :t:

Not at all Ken ;) Here in the Algarve, Firecrest is a regular, though not so common winter visitor - a birder living here should see them pretty regularly though - they occur inland but also along the coast, especially where there are good groups of large Stone Pines - folk staying in a number of hotels here can see them in the gardens. Probably most numerous in late autumn, no doubt some passage movement involved. Sagres get lots late Oct and through November and onwards. There is also a small breeding population, inland. Its probably commoner than records suggest. I find them in inland Cork Oak valley bottoms along waterlines especially and with climbers on trees (Smilax aspera usually) - its not even necessary to have any conifers. There is a decent population in inland central Algarve. Near to me in the western Algarve I have found them breeding in about half a dozen locations of the type I described. Its not a bird that visitors see much I guess.

Not at all Ken ;) Here in the Algarve, Firecrest is a regular, though not so common winter visitor - a birder living here should see them pretty regularly though - they occur inland but also along the coast, especially where there are good groups of large Stone Pines - folk staying in a number of hotels here can see them in the gardens. Probably most numerous in late autumn, no doubt some passage movement involved. Sagres get lots late Oct and through November and onwards. There is also a small breeding population, inland. Its probably commoner than records suggest. I find them in inland Cork Oak valley bottoms along waterlines especially and with climbers on trees (Smilax aspera usually) - its not even necessary to have any conifers. There is a decent population in inland central Algarve. Near to me in the western Algarve I have found them breeding in about half a dozen locations of the type I described. Its not a bird that visitors see much I guess.

Ah!...the subject bird was a Goldcrest Simon, easily mistaken on that shot, apologies that was the thrust of my post, having never seen Goldcrest with such an intense red crown before, indeed having once espied one with a yellow/orange crown but never realising that it could turn so red and must assume that this is occasionally seen?

Cheers

Ah!...the subject bird was a Goldcrest Simon, easily mistaken on that shot, apologies that was the thrust of my post, having never seen Goldcrest with such an intense red crown before, indeed having once espied one with a yellow/orange crown but never realising that it could turn so red and must assume that this is occasionally seen?

Cheers

I've seen Goldcrest on a couple of occasions with the crown feathers spread out to reveal the full extent of the deep orange that is usually hidden. On both occasions the male in question was enthusiastically soliciting a nearby female.

I've seen Goldcrest on a couple of occasions with the crown feathers spread out to reveal the full extent of the deep orange that is usually hidden. On both occasions the male in question was enthusiastically soliciting a nearby female.

A similar thing happens to male Rock Petronias - on displaying they "open" their breast feathers like theatre curtains - I must say I was quite flabbergasted at the lemon-curd intensity ;) much as I was the first time I saw a Firecrest (aka Goldcrest :-O) do its crest exposing.

Last edited:

Cheers

You are too kind - its obvious its a Goldcrest - but I just looked at that orange fire and thought Firecrest!

Goldcrests are much more scarce in the Algarve. The odd winter we get small influxes, many winters none at all or just one or two records ;)

I have to presume that there is a very “short” time frame to observe this. Indeed it was chasing another bird and such was the less than perfect lighting that I only got three half decent frames out of a double digit burst in focus, thus I count myself quite lucky in getting this almost enigmatic “face” shot.

Cheers

You are too kind - its obvious its a Goldcrest - but I just looked at that orange fire and thought Firecrest!

Goldcrests are much more scarce in the Algarve. The odd winter we get small influxes, many winters none at all or just one or two records ;)

To my eye it’s interesting how the centre crown colour for the three aforementioned Kinglets differ, for me the Ruby-crowned Kinglet was by far the most intense and living up to it’s name. With the Goldcrest showing an unexpected flame red core and the Firecrest showing a more vermillion blood red, that’s certainly my eye’s interpretation although others might take a different view. :t:

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back