• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shropshire Birding (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Can't see any thread similar to this, so maybe it's not needed, but I'll give it a go anyway.

A few recent sightings

Thursday 9th October - about 5 p.m. - Shrewsbury, over the building site near Tesco - 1 Kingfisher

Sunday 12th October - about 1:30 p.m. Longnor - 1 Dipper in usual spot

Sunday 12th October - about 2-4 p.m. - Cardingmill Valley, Church Stretton - lots of raptors - numerous Kestrels and Common Buzzards, one female Sparrowhawk, one Merlin (near top of valley), one probable Peregrine (it went behind a tree and didn't reappear) - lots of Ravens, Stonechats, 1 Grey Wagtail.

Yes, about time too.

If anyone whats to see any good birds in Shropshire, wait until I'm on holiday, as everything turns up when I'm away (not that I'm away a lot).

Went to Haughmond Hill last weekend and note that some of the dense conifer plantations have been cleared, leaving some good open rough ground. Nice place all around, so worth keeping an eye on. Several Crossbills in the area immediately south of the main car park where the tea van is.

Early morning Wood Pigeon movements seem to picking up, with at least 20 high south over Mytton Mill this morning, and 30 Starlings west.

Yes, about time too.

If anyone whats to see any good birds in Shropshire, wait until I'm on holiday, as everything turns up when I'm away (not that I'm away a lot).

QUOTE]

Let us know the dates Patrick. ;)My last trip out of the UK produced a Pectoral Sandpiper at VP, but I', not complaining too much because we saw our 1st Gt. Bustards, plus 4 species that we've only seen outside Europe before, on a guided day trip from Barcelona.

Back to real Shropshire birds, one presumed Redwing overhead in Shrewsbury at 07:20 yesterday (heard it, couldn't pick it out against the blue sky) and 5 tired looking Woodpigeons sunbathing on the lawn outside my office in Telford. Probably limited options for birding this weekend but hopefully others will contribute their sightings. Might see if I can fins some time to look for those Crossbills next week, though.

About 40 minutes ago, a Raven over Central Park, Telford, upsetting the local magpies. don't recall seeing one in central Telford before.

One Common Buzzard in a treetop, Heath Farm Shrewsbury at 07:30 until dislodged by crows.

Mytton Mill, 5pm, Monday - currently a mixed party of Redwings and Fieldfares circling the river and calling frantically - probably about 30 Redwings and 12 Fieldfares, the latter my first of the autumn.

4 Goldcrests in the car park here this morning.

There's been a Bittern at Venus Pool recently, and a Common Scoter, but I've not seen either.

Two Red Admiral butterflies past the office window this afternoon. Hardly surprising given the weather.

Mistle Thrush by Darby House, Telford Town centre (near the footbridge).

A nice morning at Mytton Mill, and 20 Siskin in the alders along the river, followed by a local scarcity overhead - a Linnet! Also a Comma.

The Grey Phalarope at Venus Pool seems to have gone, but the Bittern is still there.

hiya ... I am often around Shropshire, So chuffed that this has been started ... Can I ask Where is Venus Pool please.
Edited to say its ok google helped out.

Last edited:
Venus Pool is just south of the River Severn between Shrewsbury and Telford - I'll try to get a Grid Reference for it shortly. It's a Shropshire Ornitholigical Society reserve with a few hides open to the public. Can get some good stuff.

From Shrewsbury take the Much Wenlock/Bridgnorth road and then 2nd right after leaving Cross Houses village (there's a small caravan site by the junction). VP is less than a mile down the road with parking for 20 cars at a push. The main attraction is the pool itself but management of the site is allowing the marshy area adjacent to increase and there are hedgerows and some arable fields, so there's usually some birding interest all year round.

Last edited:
OK - can't use the OS Get-a-map facility from my work access, so someone else will have to provide the GR.

This p.m. at Venus Pool, no sign of the Bittern and the Grey Phalarope was nowhere to be seen. Highlights were a Kingfisher and a Grey Wagtail, with the Grey Wagtail probably the more unusual - I seem to see Kingfishers just about everytime I visit nowadays.

I'm working an overnight shift so will give the Bittern another try in the morning after hand-over.

Other sightings this afternoon - a Common Buzzard over Abbey Woods, Haughmond Hill that must have spent 5 minutes soaring with barely a twitch of its wings. Sparrowhawk also at this site. 4 Buzzards together over the caravan site mentioned above.

I found map and info on Venus Pool ... but it says the carpark has a barrier thats 2 metres...:-C no good as I drive a Bongo and it needs more height... is there a spot to park with out a barrier...

Bridgnorth today by the bridge. Grey Lag Geese, Mallards, a lot of white ducks

Parking is very limited away from the reserve car park. There's a farm gate about 20 metres further on that might have space for one vehicle, but I can't be certain of this and clearly access for people working locally is of paramount importance. I'm not even sure if the barrier is still there, but I certainly don't need 2 metres so might not even notice it.

Went yesterday mornig after work for 30 minutes. I was tired and it was very cold and windy and there was no sign of a bittern or much else of interest. If I can manage a reasonably early finish today (4 p.m. is my best case and it's looking dodgy) then I'll have another look. Nothing on shropshirebirds for yesterday as yet.

Despite the sudden very cold weather, I've not noticed any movement of any note.

Water Rail on the river at Mytton Mill, first time I've heard them calling here.

All I've done is work this week. Get here in the dark. Leave here in the dark. Not even an owl to show for it. Still here now with no clear deadline for departure. Might get Friday off if things calm down.

No Friday off but I'm hopeful of an early finish today, having worked on all of the last 12 days and covered every hour of the day in that period.

A couple of flocks of winter thrushes around the railway bridge by the A49/A5 roundabout west of Shrewsbury - too distant to id species but looked like both.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back