• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chelmarsh Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Emma

I am thinking of visiting Chelmarsh Reservoir tomorrow, can anyone let me know if it is a site more beneficial to visit in the Winter time as I have never visited this site before?

there is a small scrape at one end of the reservoir this used to be good for LRP and waders there is also a reed bed there and a small hide. Park at the church and walk past a large tudor house you can then see the scrape from the top of the hill. work your way down the hill via a windy path the reservoir is on the other side of the scrape. Its been a few years since Iv'e been there but Venus Pool is not too far away. Both sites are good at passage times and with the amount of waders at upton warren today I would say passage as begun both sites are worth a look especially Venus pool.

Thank you for your reply upstarts1979, the details regarding how to get to the hide etc are very much appreciated! I think the weather will decide as to whether we go to Chelmarsh or Upton tomorrow however Chelmarsh Reservoir will certainly be a place where we will be visiting...sounds interesting!

Emma, too late if you've gone this weekend, but for future reference for you or anybody:

Chelmarsh Scrape in spr/sum is good for close views of Reed buntings, Sedge/Reed Warblers, Com Whitethroat, Cuckoos and sometimes Hobby (check the two dead trees at the far end of the scrape). LRP try to breed but aren't usually successful, Oystercatchers and Lapwing generally try too. Green Sandpipers arrive now and stay for the rest of the year and other Sandpiper species pass through. The Reservoir has many GC Grebes, Herons etc. Sometimes Terns are around and if you're really lucky you may even see an Osprey, but don't hold your breath on that one!

In autumn/winter the Scrape hide is very good for seeing Water Rail (leave the door open and keep your eye on the little wet area by the door - great views!) and quite a few Jack Snipe winter there and sometimes show. Various waders turn up briefly on passage and Lapwing and Teal increase in numbers. The reservoir has a very large gull roost in winter and rarities are sometimes found. Divers and Scoters have also been present.

The reserve parking area is half a mile off the B4555. Three miles out of Bridgnorth, on the bend just after the Chelmarsh sign, there is large sign for 'Dinney Barns'. Turn up here and follow road as it bends to the right towards the farm. Keep going straight on, down a short hill and the car park is at the bottom. This is at the end of the causeway from which you can look over the reservoir. The metal gate in the car park leads to the Scrape hide. There is another hide at the far end of the scrape which isn't usually used as walking to it can scare all the birds off the scrape! Though with the hedge in leaf in summer it should be ok!

Hares and Green Woodpeckers are also near the farm and car park. If you park in the village as 'upstarts' mentioned earlier, look out for Spotted Flys which nest every year in the wysteria on the house next to the church.

I would say May and a winter month are the best times to visit.
Hope this helps

(it's in Shropshire btw)

Last edited:
Thank you for the site details ejandodin:t:, they will come in handy for future reference as we made our first visit there today before you made your informative and helpful post!

It took us a while to get our bearings but we eventually found the bridle way next to the church and made our way through the woodland down to the reservoir and scrape area. The major highlight of the day was spotting a Little Egret in the shallow water of the reservoir (Northern edge) another birdwatcher mentioned that one hadn't been reported there recently so this one must have flown in today! A record pic of the Little Egret together with one of the three Green Sandpipers that we saw from the hide overlooking the scrape together with Lapwing and Mallards are below. Other birds seen along the path by the reservoir inlcuded Common Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Chiffchaff, Swallow and out on the reservoir were good number of Great Crested Grebe, Tufted Duck, Grey Heron (4), Coot and Swan.

This was a really productive day out and it will be a site that we will definitely re-visit in the Autumn-Winter time!

Attachments

• P1090117 [].JPG
    P1090117 [].JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 219
  • P1140432 [].JPG
    P1140432 [].JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 187
Nice pics Emma, looks like you chose a good day to go with the Egret turning up! I must visit again myself sometime, I used to be a regular there but moved away and haven't been for a few years now.

Nice pics Emma, looks like you chose a good day to go with the Egret turning up! I must visit again myself sometime, I used to be a regular there but moved away and haven't been for a few years now.

Thank you for your reply ejandodin! :t: I think it was a case of being in the right place right time with the Little Egret....that is the nice thing about birdwatching in that you never know what is going to turn up! It will definitely be a place that we will return to in the future!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back