• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (2 Viewers)

No didn’t see common sand I struggled to 41 species there was just no movement at all ,30 of those species were at holt but again nothing unusual .I was trying to get something awkward like coal tit , treecreeper or green sand but no luck. As an after thought I did see the first coot chicks of the year and the redshank were mating down by the ruscus reed same place as last year. I’ll try and put the picture of the heron on if any good on next post.

Don't know if the heron still had his feet on the bottom but the 2nd photo shows he or she was successful.

Attachments

• P1010575.JPG
    P1010575.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010576.JPG
    P1010576.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 55
Monday morning early but not early enough as a whimbrel was seen before I got there. Hurrindines still missing ,common sandpiper hippo pool .2 oystercatcher flew in to join the two resident birds . Young coot now everywhere with what must be 8—10 broods . Cuckoo seen singing in trees but church farm fishing pools.Still haven’t seen a grey wagtail this year at grimley so off to wyre .

Last edited:
As sandwich terns had been seen at Upton Warren earlier had a quick look over the main pit and although there was a 3rd tern it was common . A few hurrindines were about c30 sand martin and 5 swallow ,with 11 swifts . No sign of any teal or shoveller and for the last 3 visits.

Saturday 5th May Site List

Site list from Saturday's "All Dayer" attached. The lack of any passage was compounded by our inability to track down some residents notably, Coal Tit, Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail.

Attachments

• Grimley & Holt All Dayer 5 May 2018.xls
    34 KB · Views: 52
Attached are the collated results from the 17 sites that participated in the West Mids Spring All-Day Birdwatch on Saturday 5th May. A total of 130 species were recorded across the locations, compared to 138 last year when fewer sites took part. Passage was slow / non-existence across the region, probably best demonstrated by no records of Dunlin.

Attachments

• Spring 2018 All-Dayer.pdf
    47.7 KB · Views: 36
Thursday evening southerly wind , on arriving a hobby was sitting in a tree along the sunken fence line but slipped away unnoticed as I moved to the northern causeway . 2 common sandpiper and a 3rd LRP new in . Heading down the south good numbers of swifts. Along the river sand martins nesting in the brickwork of the lock . On the metal fence running from the lock a grey wagtail unbelievably the first of the year at grimley. It stayed for about 30 seconds before flying towards the old bridge on the other side of the island.
Common sandpiper as normal on the shingle beach and a cuckoo calling from the village. On returning to car decided to take another quick look at CLP and was rewarded with a 10 minute insect catching hobby over the north causeway—-8:50pm ——>.

"All Dayer" 5 May 2018

Site list from Saturday's "All Dayer" attached. The lack of any passage was compounded by our inability to track down some residents notably, Coal Tit, Kingfisher and Grey Wagtail.

Correction to the original list, Shellduck added and Stonechat removed apologies for the error, revised list attached.

Attachments

• Grimley & Holt All Dayer 5 May 2018.xls
    34 KB · Views: 24
Sunday morning ,2 cuckoo,s 1 north 1south of church farm pools ,a female wheatear in the same area. CLP were quiet with the only additions broods of Canada geese . On the return journey a summer plumage dunlin (which they probably all are by now) church farm pools.

Tuesday evening breezy from the north west, sling and Holt 5 herons , a redshank, water levels starting to recede. CLP's lots of marsh frogs croaking with large dark brown almost black one sitting on the bank.A pair of shoveller back on the main pool,- did the ever go? Oystercatchers flying around calling and still heard an hour later down by the river may have deserted the island nest. Pair of grey wagtails at the lock , don't know how I've missed these great little birds for so long, as there's normally a pair in the area each year . Mandarin drake a little up river on one of the pools .

Thursday evening not much to report a bit like the weather forecast, May-- feels like August. Just a few photos from the last visit.

Attachments

• P1010604.JPG
    P1010604.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010609.JPG
    P1010609.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010625.JPG
    P1010625.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 49
Drake shoveler again but no sign of female , —- do we have a nest somewhere? Oystercatchers seem to have abandoned there nest and the lapwing seem to have been incubating for far to long. Not a good note to finish on so, cuckoo seen and heard repeatedly all morning along the west shoreline of CLP .

Thursday evening sling pool, shelduck, 3 redshank 2 common tern and 2 drake shoveler.
CLP a snipe was an unusual sighting flushed from the hippo pool by a coot. Clouds of flying insects but only single figures of swift swallow and sand martin. Grey-lag parents with 4 gosling ,fishing pools as was a mistle thrush . 2 drake mandarins flying up river.
Although I stayed until dark no sign at all of any owls.

5;30am Sunday morning thunder storm to start but soon cleared CLpits 4 common tern north + 2 resident who have been eyeing up the hippo for several weeks now waiting for a coot to finish incubating . Same area 2 sanderling 4LRP , and 3 ringed plover . Sedge and reed warblers very vocal as was a cuckoo at the south end . Snipe again and the single drake shoveller.
Sling pool 5 redshank 5 herons kestrel hovering otherwise quiet.

Attachments

• P1010645.JPG
    P1010645.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 35
  • P1010652.JPG
    P1010652.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010647.JPG
    P1010647.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

Back