• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caper Watch, Boat of Garten (1 Viewer)

rliversidge

I am planning visiting the RSPB centre in a couple of weeks for the early morning Capercaillie watch.... I was hoping to maybe try and take my camera along and get some photographs...

Has anyone been before..??

Whats their policy on taking a camera with a 600mm lens...??

Is it ok.. is it frowned upon... is it a pointless excercise..???

any comments welcome...

:kiss:

Ray,

I think you mean Loch Garten RSPB reserve rather than the village of Boat of Garten?

If I am correct, I have digiscoped Caper from the hide in the past but be prepared for poor light and glare early in the mornings when the events take place. Mist and distance to the birds can also be an issue.
On the other hand, views using a 600mm lens may be possible but the hide can be cramped and viewing difficult. Be aware that the floor is wooden and vibrates when people are moving so not ideal for photography where shutter speeds are slow.

Loch Garten is your best chance of seeing Capercaillie though in spring without risk of disturbance by looking for your own in the forest which I believe is now an offence during breeding time.

Also would respectfully point you in the direction of David Tipling's proposed code of conduct/ useful tips for wildlife photographers. May be of help to you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Done it a couple of times. Not a lot of room in the forward hides, though on my most recent visit we ended up in in a bigger one than the first. The birds for me were always distant-well beyond the range of my 500mm. Add the fact that you may be in the first group in, with very poor light (we had snow the second time-not much fun for the Osprey) and you can see the difficulty. Digiscoping may be better given the range and space in the hides but bear in mind there is no guarantee of seeing the birds in the time allocated to your group.
On a couple of occasions, I have seen birds from the visitors centre, again distantly. Never had the luck that some reputedly have had of Capers parading right in front of the Centre.

Possible but be wait, most birders tend leave as soon as the have seen a bird, once had the forward hide to myself(+warden) for about an hour. Birds will still be along way away.

Also it maybe worth checking flights to Gothernberg at the moment as a reputable Swedish website that restricts information on many species is showing a rouge male on the outskirts of the city. Guess they must be a great deal more common.

Hope the last bit is OK but am happy for mods to remove it

Ian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back