• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dippers in Upwey, Dorset (UK) (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all!

I'm trying to find a Dipper to tick it off the list, and I've been told a good place to do this would be Upwey in Dorset. This is quite a travel for me, so I had a few questions that I hoped someone could help with:

1. Does anyone know whereabouts in Upwey would be best to watch for dippers? I don't know the area and I have no instructions.
2. Are they present and visible year-round? I was thinking of going this Saturday.
3. What are the chances of seeing them? If it's a very low chance, then it's probably not worth the long train ride, unless:
4. Are there any other species of note present in Upwey? Is Pied Flycatcher present that far west?

Hi,
I'm not sure where you got that info from, but i don't believe Dippers have been seen on the River Wey for many years now. Certainly i've never seen them here.
best site in Dorset is the River Lim in Lyme Regis. If you want more details let me know.
As far as i know there are no breeding pied flycatchers in Dorset.
Sorry to disappoint.
James

Whereabouts would they be on the river in Lyme Regis? Do you know if there are any sites in Wiltshire or Eastern Somerset? I am located in Southampton and unable to drive so I am somewhat limited by public transport, but I think Lyme Regis should be daytrippable

Last edited:
no idea about wilts and east somerset sorry.

In lyme regis dippers can be seen anywhere from the mouth of the river 50.724794, -2.932834
right up to the border with devon approx. 50.734420, -2.944297
and no doubt beyond that into devon

James

Is there a particular spot that's best to see them? Are they common/regular? Do they like a particular type of bank? Is there anything else of note in Lyme Regis?

Sorry, I know nothing about the birds west of Bournemouth :D

It looks like the portion of the River Lym in Dorset is only a couple of miles, so I guess I could walk the length of it and see what I see?

yes i recommend walking the length of the river, if you are travelling by public transport you will be starting right by the river mouth. They are present all year round and normally straightforward to see with patience and persistence. If you delay your visit until the winter then there are purple sandpipers on the Cobb, however otherwise there aren't really any noteworthy birds.
good luck,
James

Thanks! I expect to moving abroad relatively soon so I want to make sure I do this before that happens. We have our own regular Purple Sandpipers down in Portsmouth :)

Lyme Regis looks like a pretty little town, so I'm sure I can fill the rest of the day doing tourist stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back