Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

White Wagtail in Beijing - ssp personata?

Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 16:00   #1
Terry Townshend
Regular vagrant

White Wagtail in Beijing - ssp personata?

Hello,
Today I found the attached White Wagtail in Beijing. We usually see the subspecies leucopsis and ocularis here, with the occasional baicalensis but this one threw me. The closest I can find on the internet (I don't have the Pipits and Wagtails book) is ssp personata... but it looks way out of range. I'd be grateful for any views.
Thanks in advance,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-14 White Wagtail ssp personata.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	378837  
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 17:18   #2
Douwe

With personata I would expect a white upper throat. Maybe a hybrid between personata and one of the other spp's.

Douwe
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 17:31   #3
rockfowl
Mark Andrews

Its also rather similar to a female alboides though perhaps too pale grey on the mantle? - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search...ID=&pagesize=1

Various personata here if you scroll through - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search...ID=&pagesize=1
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 11:04   #4
cuckooroller

best guess, looking through the Wagtail book - adult female personata transitioning to summer plumage (thereby losing the white throat among other things).
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 13:50   #5
Terry Townshend
Regular vagrant

Thanks guys.. I really need to invest in that Pipits and Wagtails book.. I have never seen personata or alboides before but most images of personata on the internet seem to show a white upper throat. If they can show a dark throat, I think that is the best fit. It would be the first record of personata in Beijing Municipality.

By the way, I found a cool map of White Wagtail subspecies - see here.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 14:50   #6
Gretchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Townshend View Post
Now that is my type of visual support! Very nice. For all that I like words, I hate reading lists of names of subspecies and names of places - very clear.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 15:55   #7
cuckooroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Now that is my type of visual support! Very nice. For all that I like words, I hate reading lists of names of subspecies and names of places - very clear.
Not a great diagram however. It mostly shows what should be the breeding ranges.

It seems to be a year for out-of-range races of alba. We had the first ever leucopsis in Philippines this year.
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 15:57   #8
cuckooroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Townshend View Post
Thanks guys.. I really need to invest in that Pipits and Wagtails book.. I have never seen personata or alboides before but most images of personata on the internet seem to show a white upper throat. If they can show a dark throat, I think that is the best fit. It would be the first record of personata in Beijing Municipality.

Adults of both sexes (of personata) lose the white throat in alternate plumage. By the way, for many features alboides resembles personata. It might be just as likely to find an alboides as a personata near Beijing (looking at the distances involved of their normal ranges). Nonetheless, I like the submoustachial of this bird better for personata
Neotropical Bird Club

Last edited by cuckooroller : Sunday 15th April 2012 at 16:01.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 16:05   #9
Terry Townshend
Regular vagrant

Thanks Steve. I'll submit the record as a personata. The Pipits and Wagtails book is on my Christmas list...
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 00:53   #10
Gretchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooroller View Post
Not a great diagram however. It mostly shows what should be the breeding ranges.
Yes, you have to read the label to notice that it doesn't include wintering ranges or migration routes. Visuals do tend to simplify, but at some stages of the game that is useful.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 15:14   #11
johnallcock

It certainly looks good for personata. There have been a few records (I think 4 or 5) in Hong Kong, which is also outside the usual range. Occurrence in Beijing seems plausible.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 15:45   #12
Terry Townshend
Regular vagrant

Thanks John. With better coverage, I am sure Beijing would turn up more records of this subspecies. That said, Jesper Hornskov only recorded it a very few times in Qinghai when he lived there (singles on 2 May 1991 and 30 Apr 1992, and 1-3 on several dates between 8th and 23 Sep 1994) which, given its range, suggests that it should be very scarce in eastern China.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: