• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spot metering for bird photos (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi All,

I understand spot metering will take less time to meter any any extra time with digiscoping helps.

My question is, since your spot metering it's going to affect the look of the photo depending on what your aiming the camera at to meter on. Do people suggest using spot metering when digiscoping because most digicams don't spot meter very well?

Generally, Centerweighted works best under most lighting and magnifications. I only use Spot if the bird is heavily backlit OR if the bird fills the frame and is mainly one color. At the other extreme Matrix or Pattern when the bird is small in the frame and I expect to crop heavily.

cheers,
Rick

Generally, Centerweighted works best under most lighting and magnifications. I only use Spot if the bird is heavily backlit OR if the bird fills the frame and is mainly one color. At the other extreme Matrix or Pattern when the bird is small in the frame and I expect to crop heavily.

cheers,
Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the comments. My digiscoped photos taken with spot metering on my CP 8400 seemed to come out well as long as I could expose them properly and get one in focus. :) I guess the camera isn't as sensitive via spot.

Neil's comments on the Panasonic Lumix G1 make me want to buy one today. I have a bad back and wouldn't be able to use it for birding until I have my back built up again.

See ya

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back