• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Binoculars (1 Viewer)

JBS

I'll apologize in advance as I bet this query gets old. I have been reading here and elsewhere trying to learn more about good quality glass.

I am looking for a set of 10x42 or maybe 8x42 for general all around use. Birding, hunting, spotting, etc. I have some very nice Leica 8x32s but want another pair of binos to have at another location.

With that said I am old, and maybe wise enough, to know not to buy cruddy optics. My budget is generally under $300 and just seek advice on these or the choices. I know I can go real cheap and get Vortex Diamondback if needed

1) Used Meopta Meostar 10x42 at approx $350. These are 8 yrs old so not HD and bit older coating I guess.

2) Maven C1 $325

3) Nikon Monarch 5?

4) Vortex something

5) ??

I am happy to buy used and that is generally my preference to find better quality at the same price point. Any advice is appreciated as I can not go to a store and look at all these. Thanks

JBS,

Based on what you say, I vote for the used Meopta assuming there is a good return policy with the seller. I've never liked through a pair of Meoptas but reviews are generally good. My one pair of Mavens - 7x28 - are pretty good for the money and they have a good return policy. I have briefly looked at Monarch 5 in store. Good for the price but probably not as good as the Meopta. My general experience with Vortex is they are a better buy at the low end and high end but you can do better in the $300 range.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I wondered about which rangefinder binocular is best, I want to make sure before actually buying anything. Can anyone suggest the Snypex Knight? I've read a lot about it and it is featured at number 1 of the top 10 list: The Best Rangefinder Binoculars.
Any input/advice will be appreciated! Many thanks :)

Gary, post 4,
If you really looking for a rangefinder without all kinds of unnecessary computing possibilities I would recommend either one of the lower priced Leica Geovids or the Meopta Meorange.
Gijs van Ginkel

The Meorange isn't available in the US, but Meopta does make that exact model for Leupold, who changed up the armoring and rebadged/rebranded it as a Leupold product. It is expensive, as are the Geovids, and the warranties on these are short. All electronics fail at some point, even the vaunted Leicas As mentioned earlier, I had to deal with a Geovid that wouldn't range past 250 yards in low temperatures, and Leicas "hit and miss" USA customer service couldn't even register the warranty correctly after repeated phone calls and emails.

Probably a bit late but I think the meopros are really good at that price point and you can find deals at the $400 mark for the newer HD models. I don’t think they have the edge to edge clearness as the $1000+ models but center resolutions and color is great and ergonomics strong to.

I wondered about which rangefinder binocular is best, I want to make sure before actually buying anything. Can anyone suggest the Snypex Knight? I've read a lot about it and it is featured at number 1 of the top 10 list: The Best Rangefinder Binoculars.

Hello,

I would not combine a binocular with a rangefinder , but would rather get 2 instruments , a binocular and a stand alone rangefinder , but this is just me.

Cheers.

I don‘t trust the Outeroptics website for unbiased advice.

The impressum at the bottom of its website reads:
„ Outeroptics is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com.“

I think this says it all.

I myself know only the rangefinder binoculars from Swaro / Zeiss / Leica ((and the standalone Leica Rangemaster)) and between those, number 1 would be the Swaro EL-Range (both for its optics and the rangefinder), 2 the Zeiss RF (excellent optics and rangefinder but odd location of buttons) and 3 the Geovid (I like its optics and ergonomics, but the precision of the rangefinder on several models I tested was not within the specs).

But the advice from 42za to use separate instruments (binoculars and standalone rangefinder) is worth considering.

fwiw Canip

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back