Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best bang for buck

Old Thursday 21st November 2019, 23:44   #26
simpleman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
Is weight part of your considerations?
The Nikon is 3oz lighter than the Toric and 8oz lighter than the Meopta.
It also has the widest field.

Someone commented the HGs have a lighter build and therefore may be less rugged.
First, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Mass doesn't necessarily make anything more impact resistant. Unless you're shooting them with a shotgun.

And, if you do believe that more mass makes them better in a fall or impact, consider that one carries and holds the bins 99.999% of the time relative to the split second they might take a tumble. And it's assuming that tumble is on a hard surface and lands on a susceptible area of the bin and actually causes damage.

This seems like a bad trade. Very expensive insurance, so to speak.

My opinion, FWIW, is that the Monarch HG probably has the best combination of features out there. Taking everything into account.
Thanks,

Weight isnít a big concern, Iím coming off 10x50 2015 vortex diamond backs.

In fact, if I go with the meopta it would be the 8x56 version. $50 dollars more to get me a lot more light. Will make a difference where I live. Otherwise I will be going with the tract toric or the Monarch HG in 8x42. The fact that the Toric would cost me pretty much $500 CAD less tax with military discount... I donít think more than 50% extra for the monarchís is justifiable.
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 01:25   #27
simpleman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Andrew,

And, I think I mentioned that my birding binocular Nikon 8x32 SE. I failed to mention my favorite, handheld binocular for astronomy was the 7x50 Nikon Prostar. But what is my favorite binocular might not rate as well with others. When I bought my SE, I had money and swam, every day, in a sea of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Kowa, and other great names. But as far as ďbang for the buck,Ē Nikon was the clear winner ... for me ... at THAT time.
Thank you for sharing those!
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 02:40   #28
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman19 View Post
Thank you for sharing those!
You're certainly welcome.

BC
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 03:21   #29
[email protected]

The major weakness of the Toric is the small FOV at 377 feet. It feels tunnel like IMO. That is the reason I sold mine. Make sure you try them before you buy. Here is a pair of Nikon HG 8x42's in excellent condition for $499.00 on Ebay. Big difference in the FOV at 435 feet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Binoc...4AAOSwe-td1F8V

Last edited by [email protected] : Friday 22nd November 2019 at 03:30.
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 03:49   #30
NDhunter

I have looked at the list and I would get the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42, I have experience with several
of those mentioned above. It has risen to the top of the mid range priced models.

Nikon is a well proven company with top optics the Monarch HG offers a wide FOV, along with a very bright
and sharp view. Another thing it has is the lightest weight in the upper class, and it seems some like that.

I have the Monarch HG 10x42, I find it very good.

Jerry
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 12:56   #31
simpleman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
I have looked at the list and I would get the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42, I have experience with several
of those mentioned above. It has risen to the top of the mid range priced models.

Nikon is a well proven company with top optics the Monarch HG offers a wide FOV, along with a very bright
and sharp view. Another thing it has is the lightest weight in the upper class, and it seems some like that.

I have the Monarch HG 10x42, I find it very good.

Jerry
You have tried out the Toric as well, if I recall correctly from a post you made on another thread. Is the Monarch HG worth $500 more than the Toric? That’s the price difference I am seeing on my end. Toric $950 tax in, Monarch HG 1450 tax in.
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 14:11   #32
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman19 View Post
You have tried out the Toric as well, if I recall correctly from a post you made on another thread. Is the Monarch HG worth $500 more than the Toric? That’s the price difference I am seeing on my end. Toric $950 tax in, Monarch HG 1450 tax in.
That must be the retail price in Canada.

It can be ordered from Nikon for $999.95.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...-hg-10x42.html

And see:

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...c:MONARCH%20HG

Check out the five 5 star reviews on the 10x42 HG.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 22nd November 2019 at 14:21.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 15:13   #33
simpleman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
That must be the retail price in Canada.

It can be ordered from Nikon for $999.95.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...-hg-10x42.html

And see:

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...c:MONARCH%20HG

Check out the five 5 star reviews on the 10x42 HG.

Bob
I have, they are getting tremendous reviews. But 500 is a lot extra when the Toric is also getting great reviews.
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 15:40   #34
Upland

If you want a pair of HGs then wait for LL Bean to have a 25% off sale. If you donít already have their credit card you can get one at the time of the order and get an additional 15% off. Bean also has a one year, no questions asked return policy. If you have their card return shipping is free. Hard to beat that. Unfortunately they just ran that promo last weekend so it might be awhile until they run it again. They have been running it regularly for the past few years so it should run again before Christmas. Sign up for their emails and youíll know next time itís run.

If you keep an eye on the optics classifieds at Rokslide.com youíll also come across some great used deals. Itís a hunting forum. Iíve bought several binos through their forum and all have been as described. Best to ask questions first though and make sure you feel comfortable with the buyer. Use PayPal regular option not friends and family so youíll have additional protection. The seller might want you to add 3% to cover the fee but itís worth it if you have any doubts. Lots of good deals come through the classifieds here as well.
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 16:08   #35
simpleman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
If you want a pair of HGs then wait for LL Bean to have a 25% off sale. If you don’t already have their credit card you can get one at the time of the order and get an additional 15% off. Bean also has a one year, no questions asked return policy. If you have their card return shipping is free. Hard to beat that. Unfortunately they just ran that promo last weekend so it might be awhile until they run it again. They have been running it regularly for the past few years so it should run again before Christmas. Sign up for their emails and you’ll know next time it’s run.

If you keep an eye on the optics classifieds at Rokslide.com you’ll also come across some great used deals. It’s a hunting forum. I’ve bought several binos through their forum and all have been as described. Best to ask questions first though and make sure you feel comfortable with the buyer. Use PayPal regular option not friends and family so you’ll have additional protection. The seller might want you to add 3% to cover the fee but it’s worth it if you have any doubts. Lots of good deals come through the classifieds here as well.
Just went on and checked, they do not ship to Canada through the American LL bean and the LLbean.ca site does not have the monarch HG... that would have been the difference maker though. Too bad, I would have jumped at that.
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 19:30   #36
simpleman19

Alright everyone, thank you all for your words of binocular wisdom, but I made a decision and it does not go with what the majority of you have all recommended. I ended up getting too good of a deal on MeoStar 8x56 B1.1 to pass up... where I live I could use the extra low light ability. They are also the same width and only 1.5” longer and 5 oz heavier than the binoculars I just sold. I have no issue with that size and weight difference. Still a lot smaller than similar Porro’s. One day I will pick up some 10x32’s to compliment them for day time use when I need more magnification.

Thank you all.
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 20:49   #37
mooreorless

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Andrew,

And, I think I mentioned that my birding binocular Nikon 8x32 SE. I failed to mention my favorite, handheld binocular for astronomy was the 7x50 Nikon Prostar. But what is my favorite binocular might not rate as well with others. When I bought my SE, I had money and swam, every day, in a sea of Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Kowa, and other great names. But as far as ďbang for the buck,Ē Nikon was the clear winner ... for me ... at THAT time.
Hi Bill I have the Nikon 8x32SE and will never get rid of it. I am impressed every time I look through it! And yes I do have some WP 8x as well.
Regards, Steve
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: