Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

World's best hand-holdable binocular?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 30th July 2005, 23:39   #1
John Russell
Registered Member

World's best hand-holdable binocular?

I went round to a local dealer today to pick up an astronomical eyepiece I had ordered for my Zeiss Diascope.
The salesman was probably bored with selling eyeglasses (the shop is primarily an opticians) and offered to show me some astronomical binoculars, among them the Fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX2.
They were absolutely brilliant with a 7mm exit pupil (and reputedly 95% transmission), a very easy view, excellent edge to edge sharpness and a price of under €800.
What a pity that individual focus and a weight of about 2kg makes them rather unsuitable for birding!

John

Last edited by John Russell : Saturday 30th July 2005 at 23:54. Reason: Wrong icon position
Old Sunday 31st July 2005, 18:49   #2
salty
geordie birder

indeed, at 2kg they are twice the weight of some scopes!!! - wouldnt recommend them for prolong viewing. they would have to live on a tripod to be of any use.

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st July 2005, 19:37   #3
John Russell
Registered Member

Salty,
I'm not generally a fan of 10x bins but the weight actually contibutes to a very stable hold - just wouldn't like them hanging round my neck for hours!
There is a 16x70 version, which is also excellent but this would, of course, need a tripod. The 16x mag. is a bit low as an alternative to a scope and then again there's the problem of individual focus.

Regards,

John
Old Sunday 31st July 2005, 23:00   #4
BMR

John, I have the Leica 10X50 Trinovids and have carried them from before sunup to after sundown in the mountains of Montana elk hunting. Their 41 ounces of weight has never been a problem for me. I never have them hanging from my neck; instead I use bino suspenders and never even notice them.
Old Monday 1st August 2005, 01:32   #5
Bryant

The Fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX2 is undobtedly one of the best porro binoculars on the market, but more suited (and intended) for mounted astronomical and long-range terrestrial use than for birding. A good, smaller alternative, might be the newer Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX, though it too is an individual focus model, with IF used by Fujinon primarily for reasons of waterproofing.

Of the very best of the best in porros, there are few to match the Fujinons or Nikon Superior E glasses, the 8x32 SE being at the top of the porro birder list IMO.

Bryant

Last edited by Bryant : Monday 1st August 2005 at 01:35.
Old Monday 1st August 2005, 13:04   #6
John Russell
Registered Member

I did not want to suggest that the 10x70 Fujinons could be a serious choice for me or any other birder. We all have to make compromises on optical quality, ergonomics, weight and cost and for me the best compromise was the Swaro 7x42 SLC, with which I'm still very happy.
However, the view through the big Fujinons just blew away everything I have ever looked through, including the 10x50 FMT-SXs.

John
Old Monday 1st August 2005, 22:59   #7
solentbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell
I did not want to suggest that the 10x70 Fujinons could be a serious choice for me or any other birder. We all have to make compromises on optical quality, ergonomics, weight and cost and for me the best compromise was the Swaro 7x42 SLC, with which I'm still very happy.
However, the view through the big Fujinons just blew away everything I have ever looked through, including the 10x50 FMT-SXs.

John
If you get the chance, take a look through the Nikon 10x70 Astroluxe too. It's the most perfect image I've ever seen in a binocular (even compared to the best of Zeiss and Leica). Then look through your birding glasses and despair !

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: