• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2018 (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Normally as has happened before Springwatch remains at the same venue for three years. But with Springwatch and Autumnwatch 2017 and Winterwatch 2018 been at the same venue. I’m just wondering whether Springwatch 2018 will be at a new venue because of that reason.
Ian.

I think new location and will be good to see it through the seasons. Shame they did not do that with Minsmere.
I’m hoping that Springwatch will be a new location, and I hope that Springwatch will be at a destination further north than is the norm for Springwatch and hopefully a location looked after by one of the smaller organisations for a change such as one of the County Trusts on Springwatch.
Ian.

Well at the end of Springwatch they didn’t say whether they would be at a new venue or staying at Sherborne Park. They normally say at the end of Winterwatch whether they will be back at the same Springwatch Venue or as at the end of Winterwatch 2017 they mentioned it would be at a new venue without mentioning on that date that Springwatch 2017 would be at Sherborne Park. So it’s still a bit of a mystery whether Springwatch 2018 will be a new Venue or remaining at Sherborne Park.
Ian.

Totally agree with this.

I’m hoping that Springwatch will be a new location, and I hope that Springwatch will be at a destination further north than is the norm for Springwatch and hopefully a location looked after by one of the smaller organisations for a change such as one of the County Trusts on Springwatch.
Ian.

The trouble with finding Springwatch venues is the space needed for the production village, it is a much bigger operation than Autumn or Winter. I understand that two football pitch sized space is needed, plus a photogenic space for the studio, all of which is away from public access. For example they did Autumnwatch from Leighton Moss but couldn't find a way to fit in Springwatch.

This year should offer more flexibility as there is no Glastonbury festival, all the live outside broadcast kit used at Springwatch usually goes straight onto Glastonbury.

I’m wondering when the announcement about Springwatch 2018 will be, as to whether Springwatch 2018 will be the same venue as in 2017 or whether Springwatch will be somewhere new in 2018!
Ian.

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be a new presenter since Martin left or are they just going to keep it as Chris,Michaela & Gillian.

The latest BBC Wildlife magazine confirms: NT Sherborne. Chris & Michaela plus Gillian as a roving reporter. 28th May for three weeks.

Well if Springwatch 2018 is going to be back at NT Sherborne again, I for one won’t be watching Springwatch this year. It was the worst venue ever for Springwatch in 2017, and to make matters worse that same venue was at Autumnwatch and Winterwatch.
Ian.

I don't understand the problem with the venue as per above post as surely it's the wildlife that's important?

Some folk can't abide CP but will still watch for the great footage that they're unlikely to come close to encountering in a lifetime of in the field viewing.

LGM

No Unsprung and it seems to no red-button morning/lunch/afternoon shows. Guess their budgets are still being cut...
Well there’s been no Webcams via the red button on Autumnwatch and Winterwatch for the last few years. It seems quite sad that these live wildlife programmes are having cuts made to them. But i suppose if other programmes are being affected, you can’t leave wildlife programmes from the cuts either.
Ian.

I understand that the logistics for Spring Watch are complex and the physical area needed for all the outside broadcast equipment is demanding. I suspect the choice of locations is quite limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back