• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calling All Gardeners!! (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum,

As most of you well know, we've moved into town recently from the far boonies to the nearer boonies. ;) Now that the snow is finally gone, I'm seeing some interesting plants in the flower beds that I've never seen before. One I think may be a peony of some kind (the red plant) but I'm not certain. I only think this because it looks very similar to a peony tree I have at the 'cottage'.
Anyone care to take a stab at this assortment of plants? I'm dying to know what they are! Sorry for the bad quality of a couple... I tried!! ;)

Attachments

• Mystery Plant2,Type1,May'04.jpg
    Mystery Plant2,Type1,May'04.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Mystery Plant,Type2,May'04.jpg
    Mystery Plant,Type2,May'04.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Mystery Plant,Type3,May'04.jpg
    Mystery Plant,Type3,May'04.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Mystery Plant,Type4,May'04.jpg
    Mystery Plant,Type4,May'04.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Mystery Plant,Type5,May'04.jpg
    Mystery Plant,Type5,May'04.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 155
Hi Tammie,
Picture 1 is a Lupin, picture 5 is a herbaceous Peony (probably a garden hybrid), picture 2 is some form of bulbous plant I think-? possibly a Lilium sp/hybrid. Pic 3 -haven't a clue; pic 4-? Phlox. sp; pic 6 -Aquilegia sp.(or possibly Thalictrum).
Regards,
Steve

Hope you enjoy life in town Tammie,
The plants are difficult to identify until they've a bit more leaf on them. I couldn't add anything to Steve's ideas. We'll have to wait 'n see.....

You probably know Aquilegia by the name of Colombine.

Gerry Hooper said:
Hope you enjoy life in town Tammie,
The plants are difficult to identify until they've a bit more leaf on them. I couldn't add anything to Steve's ideas. We'll have to wait 'n see.....

You probably know Aquilegia by the name of Colombine.
Hi and thanks for the responses. I finally have a place to begin with these plants! I must admit, I'm thrilled to have them as they are very different from anything else I had before. And Gerry, thanks for that last tip. I was wondering!! ;)
I'll try to remember to post updated photos in a few weeks when things grow a little more.

Hi tammie

I showed my missus these photos as she is into gardening and her thoughts were:

1 Lupin
2 Poss Lily or Agapanthus
3Poss Fuschia
4 ? doesn't think its flox
5. Peony
6. Aquiligia

Steve G said:
Hi Tammie,
Picture 1 is a Lupin, picture 5 is a herbaceous Peony (probably a garden hybrid), picture 2 is some form of bulbous plant I think-? possibly a Lilium sp/hybrid. Pic 3 -haven't a clue; pic 4-? Phlox. sp; pic 6 -Aquilegia sp.(or possibly Thalictrum).
Regards,
Steve

Hi Tammie,

I agree with you Steve with all of these. Number 4 has been suggested as a Fuchsia (F. magellanica with pale or white flowers if it is) though the faintly downy leaves also suggest a possible Veronica species. We'll just have to wait a little longer for more positive ident on this one though the others are much more conclusive.

Reader said:
Hi tammie

I showed my missus these photos as she is into gardening and her thoughts were:

1 Lupin
2 Poss Lily or Agapanthus
3Poss Fuschia
4 ? doesn't think its flox
5. Peony
6. Aquiligia

Number 4: Don't think it's a Phlox paniculata cultivar, looks more like a P. subulata or P. hoodii cultivar, sometimes called Alpine Phlox.

3. Definitely not a Fuchsia - that wouldn't have a hope in hell's chance of surviving an Ontario winter.

Could perhaps be an Evening Primrose (Oenothera) but I'm not certain. I suspect it'll have to wait until it flowers.

Michael

Just making a correction here: Number 5 is not a peony, like I originally thought it was. Now that it's in full bloom, I realized it's a bleeding heart! And it's lovely too! :)

Photo three does look a bit like buddleia leaf. But my red hot poker plant leafs out
like that in summer also. And it is late to bloom. It has long, red, shoots of deep
throated flowers which hummingbirds like.

sparroweye said:
Photo three does look a bit like buddleia leaf. But my red hot poker plant leafs out
like that in summer also. And it is late to bloom. It has long, red, shoots of deep
throated flowers which hummingbirds like.
Oh! You reminded me! I'm supposed to post updated photos of these plants! I'll do that this week and maybe I can get some answers on a few I'm still confused about. Thanks! :)

Tammie said:
Oh! You reminded me! I'm supposed to post updated photos of these plants! I'll do that this week and maybe I can get some answers on a few I'm still confused about. Thanks! :)
Number three does look like Buddleia (also known as Butterfly Bush). Mine are always slow to leaf out in spring. It looks like you've got lots Goutweed showing in the background of number five.

snowyowl said:
Number three does look like Buddleia (also known as Butterfly Bush). Mine are always slow to leaf out in spring. It looks like you've got lots Goutweed showing in the background of number five.
Is that what it's called? Someone else told me it's also called Bishop's somethingorother and it is my current battle because I don't want it where it is. That lovely plant it's trying to choke out is a fabulous bleeding heart that's blooming beautifully!!
By the way, does anyone know just how big a bleeding heart can get??

Tammie said:
Is that what it's called? Someone else told me it's also called Bishop's somethingorother and it is my current battle because I don't want it where it is. That lovely plant it's trying to choke out is a fabulous bleeding heart that's blooming beautifully!!
By the way, does anyone know just how big a bleeding heart can get??
If I had to make a choice I would tend to save the Buddleia. Bleeding Hearts don't get choked out that easily and tend to spread everywhere. I weed out baby Bleeding Hearts every year. I've been trying for three years to get one out of my hosta bed and it keeps coming up every spring.
I moved two Buddleia this spring and they are both doing fine.

A couple of more pictures of my garden. The first one is of the bed below the pond, the other two are different sections of the rock garden. The half barrel in the middle of #3 is the catch basin for a small water feature.

Last edited:
Dan, what beautiful gardens you have! I dearly want a hosta bed like yours but I'm just beginning to plan for it. Yours look so nice and healthy. Looks like you've got a lovely yard.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back