• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (1 Viewer)

There you go Brock, the answer to your durability question! I have to quit getting on this thread or I will be buying one of these Blue Sky II 8x32

Come on Steve. You know you want to. ;)

On another note, are you coming down with Brock to Migration Fest at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center on the 19th? Plenty of binoculars and scopes to play with. :)

I dropped mine a while ago. They landed on one eyepiece at a 45 degree angle from about 5 ft. The eyepiece is out of collimation now ... significantly so. They've been sitting in my closest while I decide what to do with them. Take apart and experiment? Sell for scrap? Fix? If so, how? Any ideas?

On another note, are you coming down with Brock to Migration Fest at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center on the 19th? Plenty of binoculars and scopes to play with. :)

Hi Frank,

Sorry I missed this post. How could I not like a $180 light wt. binocular that is decent to look at and look through. I guess I missed that Migration Fest yesterday.

Karstenkoch sorry for your problem, that would be a bad place for any binocular to hit the ground

I took the eyecups off to improve the eye relief for my deep set eyes. That reduced the impact protection right at the spot of the eyepiece where they hit. Oh well......

I say that you should send them into Sightron to see what they can do for you.

Steve,

Yeah, ya missed it. It was a great time. Lots of birders and non-birders alike. Hawk Mountain had a Zeiss Optics day yesterday too. I am sure they had the SF there.

Frank, I don't know if you saw my thread about if I should exchange my Vortex Talon HD 8x42 for the Talons in 8x32 because they are on sale for $299, but now after reading this, I may return them and order the sightrons. I know sightron very well when it comes to rifle scopes.
Anyhow, Id also like to ask if you have seen or handled the sightron S2 poros?

I have the Sightrons and the Vortex Talon HD 10x32. If the Vortex 8x is as sharp as the 10x, then I'd say get the Vortex. The Vortex build quality is noticeably higher, also. The Sightrons are nice for sure, esp. for the price, but the Vortex are in a class above...noticed by the specs (ED glass, dielectric prisms, etc.)...and noticed by looking through them.

timmay,

I didn't see your thread but will check it out shortly.

For the record I have tried the full-sized Talon HDs and they are of the same style/design as the Zen Ray ED series, Promaster Infinity Elitx ELX ED and a couple of others. The optical performance should be incrementally better for the reasons mentioned above by karstenkoch.

Now having said that I have vague recollections of negative experiences with the optical performance of the 8x32 Talon HD when it was first introduced. Not me personally but others here on the forum. Maybe folks will chime in when they see the thread.

My contribution to keeping this thread alive: I've just received a set of Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Skys. That's probably a bit of self-indulgence, as my main reason for buying them is simply to see what the fuss is about. I've not really had a chance to form a proper opinion of the view, but it seems pretty nice so far.

...Mike

P.S. And somebody deserves to make post #1212 on the thread. Just noticed that...

Last edited:
I glimpsed through a Sightron Blue Sky II but not through a Nikon EII. I would choose the Nikon, if that makes sense.
In fact, I love this 8x30 Zeiss Porro Central Focus format the EII and Habicht (and my Pentax 561) share.

Frank this thread is 4 yrs. and still going. I am still interested. The Sightron 8x32 Blue Sky II is a little above my "birthday gift" budget.;)

P.S. And somebody deserves to make post #1212 on the thread. Just noticed that...
Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32's or Nikon 8x30 EII's (for double the price)???
Post #1212 And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

...Mike

Post #1212 And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

...Mike

Thanks for those -Words of Wisdom- Mike!? Okay......any "optical comments" to offer on my question?

Last edited:
I can make a comment,..I have never seen the Nikon EII or the Sightron ,but i own the Kenko ultraview EX OP 8x32 DH..this kenko is said to be the exact same binocular as the Sightron,but i personally have not compared them side by side,nor i have read a side by side comparison to confirm this fact.My experience with the sightron pretty much matches everything said about the sightrons and then maybe some..(better ergos in the kenko,judging for what i hace seen in photos)..Now,the EII have npt seen,but having owned the SE 8x and the Swift Ultralite 8x32 i think i have an idea of where the EII performance might fall,.,The EII has been compared optically with the SE ,with some favoring one or the other,based in their preferences,and the EII has also been compared with the Swift ultralite .The ultralite and some of its clones,the original celestron ultima and some premium porros sold by opticron and vixen ,are definitely premium porros with top quality optical performance.I have read direct comparisons of the nikon and the swift and perhaps the nikon has a tad more resolution,but considering how sharp the swift ultra is ,i dont see how much center resolution could be improved...in any case...the Swift is better optically than the kenko..sharper and wider view...increase this advantage a bit if you wish to compensate for the EIi status and extra performance and you have the best possible view in the world against the humble,s kenko fast counterclock internal focus ,waterproofing ,lightweight near perfect ergonomics , excellent AR coatings ,and very close to the best-for-peanuts optical performance..I have no doubt the Nikon EII would probably change my perception of the world ,in the same way that the SE did .Your question is a no brainer anyway..for twice the price i'd choose the Nikon,but for half the price,the sightrons cant be beaten

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32's or Nikon 8x30 EII's (for double the price)???

In every way, the EII is a better binocular. As one could reasonably expect given their respective retails, the EII has a more solid construction. You get a feel of handling a precision instrument with the EII that you don't get with a B.S. The EII has a more precise focus wheel, and a view that is wider, brighter, sharper. Yes, the B.S. punches well above it's price-point, but so does the EII. And although an EII is closer to 2.5 times the price of a B.S., it is still not terribly expensive. We have both. The B.S. is pretty good, but it isn't the joy to use like the EII. I think you can tell which one is my preference.

But then again, both fit me quite well. YMMV.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back